Snowmen Cookies and a Snow DAY!

There is nothing better to do on a snow day then to make snowmen cookies. I have been waiting for a good snow day for a couple of years now. Sometimes it snows here and sometimes it doesn’t. Well, we finally got snow Thursday but, it was not what I expected! I got a little more than I wished for! More on that later but first, I want to show you some cookies.Snow Day Snowman CookiesThis is what I feel like every time I see a snowflake! I feel nothing but PURE JOY!!! I run around like a kid who has just been told that school was cancelled! Want to take a snow day with me and make some snowmen cookies? Please say yes!!

Supplies for Snowmen Cookies:

This Cutter
White 15 Second Icing
Orange 15 Second Icing
Red 15 Second Icing
Black Food Coloring
Paint Brush
Royal Icing Recipe
Sugar Cookie Recipe

Snowman CookieI got this cute little cutter from The Cookie Cutter Company but, it isn’t a snowmen cutter. It is an Indian cutter. I trimmed the sides of the pants and now it is perfect for snowmen cookies. Now, let’s decorate.

First, outline the snowman’s body with the white icing. Snowman Sugar CookieNext, flood the body and let dry overnight.

Snowman CookieThen, paint the mouth like I did the here. You could use black icing for the mouth but, I decided to paint with black food coloring because I like the look better and because it is less likely to bleed.

Snowman CookiesNext, you can airbrush a little blue around the edges or you can leave it white. If you want to airbrush him click here to see how. If you want to know how to use an airbrush gun, click here.

Then, with the orange icing, flood his cute little carrot nose.

Snowman CookieNow it is time for the scarf. Outline and flood with the red icing. While it is still wet, add some white dots.

Now for the story about my “Snow DAY!”  Did you watch Gilmore Girls when it was on back in the day? Well, I am kinda like Lorelai when it comes to snow. I can smell it! I know it is coming and I will get up at 2 am and stand outside looking for the first flake. I know it sounds crazy but, it has always been this magical thing for me. Watch this video of Lorelai being mad at snow! They had a great relationship until this day…

It is what I was doing Thursday. I was mad at snow for a little while just like Lorelai. I totally yelled and fussed at snow just like she did in this scene! I guess I should give you the entire story so you will understand why I was acting like a crazy woman.

A tree didn’t fall on my Jeep like it did hers but, it started snowing while my oldest son was on his way home from work (he lives close) and his truck was sliding and he had to stop about 5 miles away from home. It was cold and snowy and I didn’t want him to walk 5 miles while I was worm and cozy by the fire. So Alan and I did what any parents would do. We went into “SNOW MODE” and decided to go get him. I love “SNOW MODE!” Getting out in the snow is one of the greatest things about winter. I look for red birds in the white canvas because the red and white look so great together and I can build a snowman and give him a round nose (focus Lisa, focus…) Remember when I told you the roads in Tennessee were very curvy and hilly and you could go off the road and down a mountain or in a creek? Do you see where I am going with this???

Jeep in CreekYES, I AM GOING INTO THE CREEK!!! The snow tricked us! It totally hid the sheet of ice on the road! We slid into the creek like we were on some kind of amusement park ride. The creek is usually ankle deep but, we have had so much rain that it grew and grew and grew like the Grinch’s heart. Jeep in a CreekIn spite of our creek detour, my son made it home safe. Someone gave him a ride after he walked about 2 miles. My husband and I are OK and I think the car will live.

I love snow cookies by The Bearfoot BakerI will be 100% honest with you, I was really mad at snow!!! I felt just like Lorelai on her “I hate snow day” but, we have made up now and I love it as much as I ever did! I love you snow and please come back soon :)

At least I can look at these snow day snowmen cookies and remember the good snow times.

Comments

Lisa –

I looked at the picture before I read the rest – I am so glad you are ok!!! The cookies are adorable, but you are so much cuter – I couldn’t imagine how scary that must have been!

We are fine Christy! It happened very fast! I took my camera to take pictures of the snow and all I could think about was. “SAVE THE CAMERA!!” LOL I am so glad you like the cookies;)

2. vicki says

Wait!!!!

The car actually “lived” after that??? How is that possible?!

Glad everyone is okay….don’t be mad at the snow…be mad at the ICE!

I think the car will be ok but, we will see for sure tomorrow. I am mad at the ice but, the snow hid the ice from me and that is why I was mad at the snow! But we are friends again! LOL

So glad you are OK!!! That looks aweful. I would have been freaking out. I love snow too, but that would DEFINITELY make me mad too.
    I’d love to make cookies with you and declare a snow day, but I’m not very good at it. I always want to try again, but am frustrated by my shaking hands and inability to make straight lines.
    Maybe you could give me decorating lessons since I’m just a little north of you:)

4. Michelle says

Oh my giddy aunt ! Lisa , that is unbelievable – so glad you are all ok but what a scare it must have been ! Guardian angel was watching you.

I agree with Michelle. Your guardian *snow* angels were definitely with you on this drive. I’m happy that you O.K. and are able to write this post, that your husband and your son are all fine too.

As for your snowmen cookies. They are adorable and make me smile :) Stay safe on those winter roads.

I do remember that D.J.! Snoopy has always been a favorite of mine! I LOVE that poster!! This little snowman also reminds me of Scooby doo when he gets a Scooby snack! Only because it what I do when it snows. Hehehe

Alan had to get out of the car first because we were afraid my short legs wouldn’t make the jump. So once he was safe on land I told him to save the camera! Then, I jumped! I knew if I fell in I would dry but, the camera couldn’t survive the swim! Hahahaha

I am so happy to hear you and your husband are both well after such a scary event. You have every right to yell at snow. What a day that must have been for you. Of course, even with such an awful thing happenings, you found a way to find joy with your cookies! That is wonderful.

I actually thought of you after I fussed at the snow! I knew you liked it as much as I did and I was hoping it was being nicer to you! LOL

YES! I am crazy!! LOL SO CRAZY!! I chase bears and now think I can swim like a polar bear! Hahahaha

I am so glad you get your airbrush next week! I can’t wait to see what you do with it! You are going to be a natural!

I’m so glad you all are okay!! I have the same relationship with snow as you and Lorelai (love Gilmore Girls, btw), this winter I started jumping up and Down, squeeling, dancing and calling people on the phone when the first snow came, all “it’s snowing, it’s snowing, is it snowing where you are???” :-D

Miss Overballe, are you sure we are not long lost sisters? I do the same thing when I see snow. Then, my daughter and bundle up and go for a hike! We need to start a “Snow Day Club!” We can throw a snow themed party and Skype each other in!

Oh yes, lets start a “Snow Day Club” and celebrate with snow treats and cakes!! :-D At the moment, Denmark is covered in a thin, yet pretty, layer of snow, making everything so much more magical :-) And the frost should be staying put, so we get to keep the snow for a while, but unfortunately is doesn’t seem like we are getting any more for the moment :(

9. Sweetsugarbelle says

Again, I’m sooo happy you’re okay. You’d have really ruined my year! I love these angelic little snowmen!!!

It was scary but, we are laughing about it now. I don’t have many things I can give my husband a hard time about but, I keep saying things like, “Please take the trash out because you drove me in the creek!” LOL

10. Cynthia Huckins says

OMG! So happy that you scary day had a happy ending and you and family are fine! Cute snowmen, but think spring! I am sick of the snow. :)

11. Cynthia Huckins says

I live in Northern Nevada, about have way between Salt Lake City UT and Reno Nevada. We needed the snow, because we had a mild winter last year, but the cold it really getting old. It was showing that we were colder than Alaska Jan. 4th. I would love for you to come to my house and make cookies, but I am sure that that is more of a road trip then you would like! I love fallowing your blog and enjoyed your presentation in SLC. When in Louisville at the Spring Fling, some of your cookie friends share some of their stories about your cookie camp and what a wonderful time that they had. (Hence, I feel like I know you.) I hope that we will meet some where down the cookie line! Stay safe and if you ever get out this way the oven door is always open!

12. Davina says

Oh My Gosh!!!! Scary!!! Glad you were okay! I LOVE THE SNOW TOO!!!!! We just don’t ever have any – Los Angeles area. My snow family thinks I’m crazy and if I lived in it I wouldn’t love it. WRONG!!!!!! I’d still love it.