Royal Icing Video-with Goldilocks and the 3 Bears

I want to say thank you for all the love you sent me for making my first video. I was truly touched by all the emails and nice comments you sent my way. I felt like each one of you gave me a great big bear hug! THANK YOU!! I can’t tell you how happy you made me so I decided to make you a “Fairy Tale of the Perfect Royal Icing Video Staring Goldilocks and the Three Bears.”

Fairy Tale of the Perfect Royal IcingI want to share this post on icing consistency because it was the hardest thing for me to master when I began decorating cookies. I am not an expert but, I can get the results I want by following a few simple steps. I hope this tutorial along with the video will help you take control of your royal icing.

I am going to tell you a little fairy tale about Goldilocks and the Three Bears and they have put together a little royal icing video for you.

Fairy Tale of the Perfect Royal IcingGoldilocks watched the Martha Stewart show one day and saw a woman decorating cookies. She liked the segment so much that she had to decorate them for herself. She bought everything she needed to start but, she could not, for the life of her, get the icing consistency right. She tried and tried and tired. So she sat out on a journey to find out how to get the icing “just right.”

She began her journey in the Great Smoky Mountains. It was a magical place and she was sure she would find the answers there.

Fairy Tale of the Perfect Royal IcingShe found the cutest little cottage and decide to go in in hopes she would learn about outline and flood icing.

Perfect Royal Icing VideoShe didn’t know she was entering the home of three bears! Good for her they were not home. They went to the local Bear-Mart to get more powdered sugar. You can never have enough powdered sugar.

But in the mean time, I want you to know that I have decorated cookies with many ladies who have bakeries and blogs and the one thing I noticed is, we all like our icing our own way. That doesn’t mean that we can’t decorate with each other’s icing. It just means we all have our own style and you need to find yours.

I want to share a unique way to think of it. Imagine you are Goldilocks and your icing is the Three Bears. I am not crazy, I promise. I will show you what I mean.

Fairy Tale of the Perfect Royal Icing

If you are Goldilocks, you don’t want be “Papa Bear!” If you are like Papa Bear, your icing is probably really thick and it maybe “too hard” to squeeze out of the piping bag or bottle. If you do manage to get it out of the bottle, it will be hard to smooth out. You don’t want to be hard and rugged like Papa Bear.

Fairy Tale of the Perfect Royal IcingIf you are Goldilocks, you don’t want be “Mama Bear!” If you are like Mama Bear, your icing is probably really runny or “soft” and it will be hard to keep in the piping bag or bottle. It will run out of the tip if you want it to or not. Once you flood your cookie,  it will be hard to keep the icing on the cookie because it is so runny it will fall off the sides. You don’t want to be “soft” like Mama Bear.

Fairy Tale of the Perfect Royal IcingIf you are Goldilocks, you need to be Baby Bear and get it “just right!”  Baby Bear has it going on. His bed is just right and his chair is just right. His Porridge is just right also. We need to try to get our icing to a “Just Right” consistency so it is easy to get out of the bottle and thick enough that it stays on the cookie. Baby Bear is one smart cookie.

Royal Icing Video

Baby Bear taught Papa Bear, Mama Bear and Goldilocks how to make “just right” icing with the help of this royal icing video. They watched the royal icing video together as they mixed the icing with water from a spray bottle until they got the consistency they wanted.

Fairy Tale of the Perfect Royal IcingOnce baby bear showed them how simple it was, they all lived happily ever after!

Keep in mind that my “Just Right” may not be your “Just Right” and that’s OK.  We will keep working and practicing until we get it right.

Here are more videos and tutorial on icing consistency:

1. Karen’s Cookies- Mixing and Bag Filling
  2. One Tough Cookie-Give it a Shpritz
  3. Sweet Sugar Belle- Outlining and Filling Cookies with Royal Icing
  4. Royal Icing Consistency
  5. Sweetopia- Royal Icing Consistency Made Easy
  6. Sweet Sugar Bells- 20 Second Rule
  7. “Beginners Guide to Cookie Decorating”

Comments

You comments are like little cheers! I love having you as my video cheerleader!! Thanks for the pep talk and I will get to work on another one right away:)

Fantastic post, cookies and especially video, Lisa!! I loved it! Could I ask what you use to shoot the video? Is it just the video setting from your DSLR? I can’t wait for your next video tutorial. :)

Thanks Mike, I use my Cannon T3I Camera to do my videos. I shoot in RAW so I can control the White Balance. I also have Windows Live Movie Maker that came on my computer and I use it for the editing. I hope you make us a video of your wicked mad skills soon!

2. ClaudiaIsBaking says

OMG. I will FOREVER refer to my icing consistencies with this terminology. How clever and how helpful. Thank you!

Gail, you have to go to Karen’s Cookies and see how she does the icing pods. It saves so much clean up time! The best part is you don’t have to dig through the left over icing to get your coupler back. My hands are pink and green anymore:)

It will remain a mystery to me why you waited so long to do videos! I love this one. Great tutorial and your Goldilocks and The Three Bears cookies are just adorable.

4. Kim Hays Jeffrey says

Super cute post! Love, Love, LOVE the video…..if only I could have seen a video like this when I started! Icing consistency has been the hardest thing to get right. Thank so much and I KNOW this will help sooooo many others.

5. Donna B. says

Can never get enough about the icing consistancy……excellent and extremely entertaining! LOVE your sense of humor, Lisa! Now to translate it to MPButtercream……thanks so much!
    Blessings, Donna B.

ok so now i am definitely going to try to make baby bear icing! wish me luck it doesn’t come out like the troll under billy goat gruff’s bridge! :>P
    ps -i wish more people made videos as clever/entertaining/informative/catchy tuned as yours-my attention span falls wanders after a 2 minute video of boring instruction :>O

Lisa, this is just the cutest thing that I have ever seen! The story, the cookies, the video, the whole idea! Just cute, cute, cute! Very informative too! Plus, it has me smiling ear-to-ear!

8. Sharon(The Plaid Cookie Co.) says

Awesome!!! Love the story, and the teachings. You’re the best, Lisa! Love what you do, and your heart for what you do!

9. Penny Davidson says

I love this! Thank you so much, I hope it helps me. I struggle with consistency more than anything!

Thanks for another helpful tutorial! The video is brilliant. I’ve started to use the “just right” consistency more frequently. I call it the 18 second icing. After watching your video I realized I’ve been using the icing bag rubber bands incorrectly. I was tying them on like regular rubber bands. Your way (the correct way) makes so much more sense! Thanks again for sharing so many useful tips :)

I just love learning (and especially seeing!) how other cookiers work! Your video was great! My favorite section was watching you decorate the heart cookies at the end. Something about seeing exactly how the process looks that is so informative!

12. Annette Galloway says

Hi, What size tip are you using for the baby bear icing to outline and fill? Thanks! Annette

Hi Annette,

I always use a #2 tip or a #2.5 PME. If I have a larger area to flood I use a #3 tip. It has been awhile since I made these but I would say I used a #2 tip. :)