Seafood Cookies-Shrimp, Crab Legs and Lobsters

My hubby and I went out to eat with some friends of ours the other day. Every time we get together, we laugh for what seems like hours. This time, we were laughing because Bill was trying to sneak shrimp off of Donna’s plate. It was funny because he loves shrimp but, he is allergic to it. Donna kept smacking at his hand and telling him she didn’t want to spend the night in the ER. As I watched, I got the idea to make seafood cookies. Maybe they will satisfy Bill’s seafood craving.

Simple Seafood Cookies with thebearfootbaker.comI know they aren’t the real thing but, maybe we will have something new to laugh at the next time we get together. I am going to show you how to make the shrimp today and the crab legs later this week.

Supplies for Seafood Cookies:

White 15 Second Icing
Peach thick icing (Mix Fleshtone and Egg Yellow)
Airbrush gun
Airbrush Colors (equal parts of orange and copper)
Rose tip 101, 102, or 103

Seafood Cookies thebearfootbaker.comTo make the shrimp, I stretched out a candy cane cookie cutter and made it fat at the bottom so there would be room for the tail. If you are going to hang the cookies from a glass or cup, decorate both sides and be sure to leave a hook on the top of the candy cane so the cookies don’t slide off.

Seafood Cookies Little Shrimp Cookies thebearfootbaker.comBegin by outlining the shrimp’s body with the white icing. Then, make the dividing lines and flood every other section. Let it dry for about 20 minutes and flood the remaining sections.  Let it dry for at least an hour.

Seafood Cookies by www.thebearfootbaker.comTo make the tail, use one of the rose tips from the list above. With the wide part of the tip down, make a few loop motions from one side of the tail to the other.

Simple Shrimp Cookies thebearfootbaker.comLet it overlap on the end of the shrimp’s body.

Shrimp Cookies with thebearfootbaker.comYou don’t have to be real careful with this step. Have fun with it.

Seafood Cookies Shrimp Cookies thebearfootbaker.comNext is the fun party. The airbrushing. You can decorate a lot of cookies in a short amount of time.  I haven’t made a video in a long time so I though I would make one for you today and show you how fast you can add detail to these little guys.

If you don’t have an airbrush gun, you could paint on the peach color or swirl around some icing peach colored icing while the white icing is wet.

How did you like my airbrush hose bracelet? Heheheh. It really does keep me from dragging the cord through my cookies and messing them up. Hope you make yourself a bracelet also.

Easy Seafood Cookies with thebearfootbaker.comSo what do you think? Do you think these satisfy Bill enough to not risk his life for a bite of shrimp? I sure hope so!!

For the crab legs video tutorial click here, or if you want to make the lobster cookies, click here for the tutorial.

Bear hugs,

Comments

1. Karen@trilogy edibles says

You are brilliant! Love these. It might be the only way I get Rob to eat shrimp! I heart you!

Hi Lisa,
    I am amazed at your talent and creativity! You are BRILLIANT!!!
    Just love these cookies. When I saw them on Facebook, I thought you had posted a shrimp cocktail recipe. They look so real.

Genius and creative, Lisa!! The airbrush color really does make these shrimp tails look so real! (PS- I love shrimp and can’t imagine what it must be like to be allergic to them. I feel for Bill, but I know he’ll love these!)

I KNOW Mike! I felt so sorry for Bill because he loves shrimp but, the don’t love him! I want to send him a huge box of these! Hahahaha

4. Loretta - Sweet Southern Cookies says

You are so creative, Lisa! I love watching you do the airbrush cookies, I have a airbrush machine just learning how to use it. What setting do you use for that? High, med or low? That’s my problem, I don’t know which speed to use to on! … Ugh. But I try to practice when I can keep my hubby out of the cookies. I only do them for family and some close friends, because I still stress over them …. lol

Hi Lorttta,

When in doubt, try the medium setting. If you need more, increase it to high or if you need less, set it on low. Don’t be shy with your machine. Use it and have fun!!

5. NikkiK says

Oh geez Lisa, these are brilliant! It’s funny because when I saw Mike’s Father’s Day tie cookies hanging from the mug, I thought “that would be cute to do with shrimp cocktail”. Of course my cookie skills still aren’t in line with my brain yet. Glad you brought this to life!

My other thought was to make celery like it was sticking out of a Bloody Mary (or maybe a savory cracker on the side of a bowl of gazpacho?). Or a rock climber trying to get into a mug (complete with licorice for ropes).

Allergic to shrimp? I’d die. Just keel over dead.

Great ideas Nikki! I hope you make them! I love the rock climber and the licorice for ropes idea. I really hope you make it!!

Airbrushing cookies is so easy! You can decorate a lot of cookies fast! And the base icing can be white so it saves time mixing colors.

Love, love your seafood themed cookie feast. What a brilliant idea – make cookies to look like an allergen for some poor soul that craves something they can’t eat! That reminds me of when I was pregnant with my second baby. I craved alcoholic mixed drinks (I don’t even drink when I’m not pregnant!). Maybe some margarita decorated cookies would have done the trick. Looking forward to the crab legs tutorial.