Black Eyed Susan Cookies
I am amazed at how many wonderful friends I have made on the internet. I have one special friend that I really hope to meet one day and I am sure you all know her. Her name is Haniela and she has a great blog that I spend way to much time on. Hani does it all! She has beautiful photos of amazing cookies, crafts, food and so much more. I am warning you, if you go to her blog you will not have time to do the dishes today. You will get lots in her beautiful creations!
Hani is having a “Let’s Smell Flowers Cookie Party” and she invited me! To say I was honored was an understatement! I am on cloud 9!!! She had a list of flowers and my favorite flower was on there. (Clap, clap, clap!!!)
Black Eyed Susan’s! These babies are all over my yard. I think they are happy little flowers and I love collecting the seeds for the next year. I can sit for hours breaking apart the little seed centers. Want to make some?
The two most important things about making these cookies are getting the shapes right before you bake them and working with really cold dough. I froze my for about fifteen minutes after I rolled it out.
With these cookies, you will do all the work with the dough and then the decorating part is practically done for you! I mean these cookies are so simple and friendly they will wash your dishes for you! Well, maybe not the dishes;)
Begin by cutting a few daisy shapes.
Next, trim off the sides of the circle and shape it a little with your fingers to look like the center of a Black Eyed Susan.
Now it is time to work on the petals. See the cutter? Now look at the petals of the finished flowers. I pulled them down a little so would look more realistic. Your dough needs to be cold and be careful not to break off one of the pedals. Time to bake them!
After your cookies are cool, outline and flood the center of the flower and sprinkle with Chocolate Jimmies while it is nice and wet.
It is really looking like a Black Eyed Susan now. I know you will hate this part but, let this dry overnight so it will play nice with the yellow icing tomorrow.
Thanks again Hani for inviting me to your “Let’s Smell the Flowers Party.” Everyone made such beautiful flowers! Look how beautiful all they are!
1. Black Eye Susan by Lisa, The Bearfoot Baker
2. Carnation by Meaghan, The Decorated Cookie
3. Cherry Tree Flower by Pam, Cookie Crazie
4. Daffodil by Georganne, LilaLoa
5. Daisy by Stephanie, Ellies Bites
6. Dogwood by Marian, Sweetopia
7. Gerbera by Paula, Vanilla Bean Baker
8. Hyacinth by Amber, SweetAmbs
9. Hydrangea by Kim, The Partiologist
10. Iris by Cristin, Cristin’s Cookies
11. Lavender by Liz, Arty McGoo
12. Lily of The Valley by Hani, Haniela’s
13. Lotus by Marlyn, Montreal Confections
14. Morning Glory by Glory, Glorious Treats
15. Orchid by Ali, Ali Bee’s Bake Shop
16. Pansy Nicole, Life’s A Batch
17. Poppy by Callye, SweetSugarBelle
18. Sunflower by Bea, Cancun Cookies
19. Tulip by Lorriane, LorrainesCookies