Owl Cookie with a Pumpkin Cutter
I got an email a few weeks ago asking me to participate in a pumpkin cutter challenge. The email was from the amazingly talented Callye from Sweet Sugar Belle. She said she wanted to show 20+ ways to use a pumpkin cutter. I was so excited because I could only imagine what all the super talented ladies were going to come up with. Projects like this are fun and get the creative juices flowing. You can get a lot of ideas by seeing how several people take the same cutter and get different ideas. I decided to make an owl cookie with a pumpkin cutter.
So what to make with a pumpkin cutter. I didn’t know what I was going to make until I pulled out all my pumpkin cutters and flipped them all around and I saw an owl. I didn’t want to do a flat owl because I have been on a texture kick lately and wanted to make a fluffy feathery friend. With a #3 tip, leaf tip #352, and very little effort, you can create a lot of texture really fast.
Supplies for Owl Cookie with a Pumpkin Cutter:
Leaf tip #352
Orange 15 Second Icing
Chocolate Brown Outline Icing (for branch)
Lighter Brown Flood Icing (for branch)
Royal Icing Eyes made with tip #9FT
Snow Owl Cookie with a Pumpkin Cutter Colors:
Off-White Thick Icing (Mix white with a touch of Ivory)
Thick Gray Icing
Brown Owl Cookie with a Pumpkin Cutter Colors:
Brown Thick Icing
Note: I am only showing the tutorial for the snow owl.
First, make the royal icing transfer eyes a few day before the owls. You need to make the black centers a few days before you make the base part. I made all white for these so please ignore the blue eyes. I planned on using them but, changed my mind at the last minute. Once the white eyes were dry I used the airbrush gun to make them the colors I wanted. These were made with a cupcake tip# 9FT.
- Hold the bag straight up and down but, don’t let the tip touch the wax paper.
- Keeping the tip steady, squeeze the icing util you get the size eye you want then stop squeezing and pull straight up.
- Then, add the black royal icing circle. I keep several jars of these on hand. I store them in jars arranged by size.
- Outline the branch with the dark brown icing.
- Then, flood with the light brown icing.
- Next, use the dark brown icing to make squiggly lines on the log when you spray.
- This step is optional. If you want add some detail to the branch, you can airbrush it. Let it dry for about 30 minutes and spray the edges of the branch brown with the airbrush gun set on low. Hold the gun about an inch away from the log.
- Make the toes with the orange icing. Make the outer toes first and let them dry for a few minutes then, make the center one.
- Hold the tip with the points at the top and bottom and the slits on the sides.
- Holding the tip just slightly above the cookie, gently squeeze the bag.
- Apply pressure until the leaf base is a wide as you want it.
- Slowly release pressure as you pull the bag up giving a quick pull at the end to form a tip.
- Place them close together so your cookie doesn’t show.
- Notice how the gray is on the right on some of the feathers and left on the others. I would flip the bag upside down so it didn’t look so uniform.
- Panda Calaveras, Miss Cuit
- Owl S’mores on a Stick, Kitchen Fun with my Three Sons
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Pasties, Bakingdom
- Halloween Pumpkin Wall, Arty McGoo
- Cocoa Krispies Trick or Treat Bears, Hungry Happenings
- Creative Cherry Cookies, Lila Loa
- The Ultimate Halloween Candy Bar, Dollhouse Bake Shoppe
- Halloween Pumpkin Carriage Cookie, Trilogy Edibles
- Easy Cheveron Pumpkin Cookies, Lizy B Bakes
- Pumpkin Fudge on a Stick, The Decorated Cookie
- Funny Face Pumpkin Cookies, Munchkin Munchies
- Woodland Owl Cookies, The Bearfoot Baker
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Hand Pies, Created by Diane
- Wide Eyed Owl Cookies, Simply Sweets by Honeybee
- Zombie Girl and Brains Cookies, Not Your Momma’s Cookies
- Cookie Cutter Pumpkin Fudge, The Partiologist
- 3-D Pumpkin Cookie, Cookie Crazie
- Faberge-Style Pumpkin Coach, Oh, Sugar Events
- Peek-a-Boo Pumpkin Cupcake Topper, Sweetology 101
- Slimy Green Ghost Cookies, Pink Little Cake
- Silly Pumpkin Face Cookies, Klickitat Street
- Pretty Painted Pumpkin Cookies, Glorious Treats
- Lalaloopsie Cookies with a Twist, SweetSugarBelle