Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe
Do you eat ice cream in the winter? If you think about it, there is no better time to eat it because it won’t melt. You won’t have to worry about melting ice cream if you eat this Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwich because it is made with Cool Whip instead of ice cream.
I got this recipe from my Weight Watcher leader years ago. They are low calorie and low fat so you won’t feel guilty giving them to your kiddos. It is a great snack to cut a chocolate craving.
Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwich Supplies:
Chocolate Graham Crackers
Cool Whip FREE-thawed
Before we get started I wanted to show you the nutrition labels for these bad boys.
- 2 tablespoons of Free Cool Whip only has 15 calories and “0” fat grams. The chocolate graham crackers have 130 calories and 2.5 grams of fat for 2 whole crackers. This is great news because one ice cream sandwich is made with one cracker and only has 80 calories and 1.25 grams of fat.
- When I frist got the recipe, I wasn’t sure how they would taste but, they are good. My teenagers would eat them as fast as I could make them. Now that doesn’t help with the calorie intake but, it shows how good they are.
- Begin by breaking the graham crackers in half. It is a bit messy so I break them over the sink or on a baking sheet to make the clean-up simple. Then, pipe some of the Cool Whip onto half of the graham crackers. You can use a spoon if you don’t want to use a piping bag.
- Once half of the graham crackers have the Cool Whip on them, add the top graham cracker and place the sandwiches in sandwich bags. Place them in the freezer overnight. If you don’t want to use sandwich bags you can place them in airtight containers.
- If you love peanut butter and chocolate, you can add a little peanut butter before you freeze them.
- Once they freeze you can eat them. I like them after they have been in the freezer for a few days because the graham crackers get a little softer like a real ice cream sandwich. The only problem with that is if the kids see them they won’t last a couple of days unless you hide them in the back of the freezer where no one looks.
There you have it. A super simple chocolate ice cream sandwich recipe your kids can make or help you make. The best part is they won’t melt. Amy at Momtastic FOOD added mint, coffee, and orange flavor to the Cool Whip before she froze them. What a brilliant idea. I am going to invite some teenagers over to make these disappear so I can try her recipes.
- Chocolate Graham Crackers
- Cool Whip FREE-thawed
- Sandwich bags or airtight containers
- Break each chocolate graham cracker in half. Add 2 tablespoons of Low-Fat Cool Whip. Place in a sandwich bag or an airtight container and freeze overnight.