How to Make Cactus Candy Decorations with a Video
Have you seen all the cute little cacti everywhere? They’re growing in popularity everyday. If you want to have a party with a cactus theme now would be a good time because you can find cactus decorations everywhere. You can even make your own cactus candy decorations with the free templates I’ve made for you. If you don’t like royal icing, you can make them with chocolate and use them on cakes and cupcakes.
Supplies for Cactus Candy Decorations :
(contains affiliate links)
Royal Icing Recipe
Royal Icing Colors:
Terracotta Color-I used orange and brown food gel
White Royal Icing
Decorating Bags or Decorating Bottles with #2 decorating tips
Tipless Decorating Bags
Masking or Painters Tape
Double Sided Tape
Foam Board, Baking Sheet, Cutting Board, or a flat surface for the transfer patterns.
- Begin by printing the templates from the supply list. I’ve made them in two different sizes, but feel free to adjust them to the size you need.
- Get a piece of foam board (cut it to the size you want) and tape the template with the double sided tape so it doesn’t move.
- Cover the template and the foam board with a piece of wax paper.
- Tape it into place with the masking tape. Try to remove all of the wrinkles so your transfers will be flat when they dry.
- Mix the royal icing colors and add the royal icing to the decorating bags.
- Pipe the arms of the cactus first and let them dry for about 10 minutes so the top of the royal icing will form a crust. This will make the arms of the cactus look as if they’re separate from the body of the cactus.
- While the arms are drying, pipe the base of the clay pot with the terracotta royal icing and let it dry for about 10 minutes. You can use the turkey lacer to help push the royal icing into the corners of the pot if necessary.
- Once the cactus arms have had a few minutes to dry, pipe the body and use the turkey lacer to help make a nice round shape.
- Let them dry overnight.
- All that’s left to do is to pipe the rim of the clay pot. I didn’t follow the template because I wanted them to do look a little more free handed instead of square like the template. If you want to use the template, go for it. You can also use it as a guideline and make nice round rims. It’s up to you.
Cactus Candy Decorations Video
Are you ready for a quick little video? Here you go!
I kept the design simple, but keep in mind you can decorate the pots in different colors and add all kinds of thorns and texture to the cacti. I’m thinking about adding a few flowers to the top of the gorgeous green plants when I add them to the cookies. Adding a flower on top will give them a little pop of color and some personality.
Have fun decorating with them!