How to Make Cute Chick Cupcakes
I love shopping in the spring! It’s not because of the latest fashion designs. There is a perfectly good reason I love to go and it’s those adorable little baby chicks I can buy at the Tractor Supply. I know you probably think I’m weird, but those cute little fluffy baby chickens are the most adorable thing’s I’ve ever seen! They’re so adorable, they inspired these cute chick cupcakes!
If you’re looking for something to make with your kids this Easter, stop looking! You found it! They’ll love making animals they can eat and you’ll get to spend some fun quality time with them. Does that make you want to break out the cupcake liners and start baking? Quality time with the kids and some fun cupcakes sounds like a great day to me!
Supplies for Cute Chick Cupcakes:
Yellow – Lemon Yellow Food Gel Color
Large Round Decorating Tip – 5 Cupcake Cake Decorating Set
4mm Edible Pearl Dragees
Food Tweezers Precision Tongs
Chocolate Covered Orange Sunflower Seeds, Orange M&M’s, Small Pumpkin Royal Icing Transfers
Tip of the day:
Liquid food color can thin down the consistency of your icing since it’s water based. It’s great for dying Easter Eggs but it can mess up the consistency of your frosting.
Food Gel Color is glycerine and/or corn syrup base so it’s thicker than the liquid food color. It’s great for decorating cookies and tinting your frosting.
Here’s a little tip on how to keep your food gel paste organized.
- Begin by making some yummy cupcakes and some yellow frosting. You can make your own frosting or use some storebought frosting. It’s up to you and how much time you have. 😉
- Place the frosting in a piping bag fitted with a Large Round tip for Cupcakes like the one in this set of 5 Cupcake Cake Decorating Set. You don’t have to have this exact decorating tip, you just need a good round one.
- Place the orange chocolate sunflower seeds and 4mm edible pearl dragees in small bowls for easy access.
- Grab the food tweezers and you’ll be ready to decorate!
- Remember when I said you don’t have to have the exact decorating tip I used? You just need one that is large and round.
- Hold the bag at a 90° angle in the center of the cupcake and apply pressure.
- Squeeze until you have a nice round circle of yellow frosting. As you can see by my cupcake, it doesn’t have to be perfect.
- Next, hold the bag at a 90° angle and pipe a smaller circle for the head. Release the pressure from the bag as you pull the bag away from the cupcake. This will give the chick a nice little pointy head.
- See the pointy head? That is what you’re looking for.
- Add the 4mm edible pearl dragees and the chocolate covered sunflower seeds while the icing is still wet. This is where the kids can have a little fun.
- If you’re really brave, give them a bowl of sprinkles and watch them work their magic. It’s guaranteed to give you all a few good laughs!
- If your kids don’t like sunflower seeds, you can use M&M’s for the feet.
- Or if your feeling really creative, you can use candy pumpkins for the feet.
- Pumpkin Royal Icing Decorations you can make with stickers.
- The small pumpkin template can be found at the Pumpkin Royal Icing Transfers tutorial. Who knew they’d be good chick feet?
Cute Chick Cupcakes Video
Grab your cupcake liners and bake some fun with the kiddos!
The point of these cute chick cupcakes is to get creative with the kids and let them impress you with their decorating skills. Oh yeah, it would be nice if you take them to the Tractor Supply and let them watch the baby chicks for inspiration. I know that is what the grandkids and I are going to do when they come visit next month! No, we aren’t going to buy any but doesn’t it spark your imagination.