How to Make Easy Nurse Hat Cookies
Are you looking for simple cookies to make for our amazing medical workers? If you are, here is a simple set of easy nurse cookies. If you make the red royal icing crosses ahead of time you only need one color of royal icing to make them. It doesn’t get much easier than this.
Stay tuned because I’ll be showing you how to make and airbrush the cross cookies so be sure to come back to see what cutter I used.
How to Make Easy Nurse Hat Cookies Supply List:
(may contain affiliate links)
- Nurse Hat Cookie Cutter- Nurses Call the Shots Cookie Cutter Set
Royal Icing Colors:
Free Cross Royal Icing Pattern:
- Turkey Lacer
- Tipless decorating bags- The Cookie Countess, The Flour Box Bakery, and TMP
- 2- #2 Decorating tips- If you’d like to decorate with tips you can use them in your tipless decorating bags. For this tutorial, I used a #2 for the thick outline royal icing and one for the flood royal icing. You can use the tipless bag with or without decorating tips and that’s why it’s so fun to decorate with them.
How to Make Easy Nurse Hat Cookies Video:
Nurse hat cookies are very easy to decorate and they’re great for beginners. You can also make a set of thank you cookies with your kids or grandkids. They’re simple and you can make the red royal icing crosses ahead of time so all you have to do is drop the cross on the cookies while the royal icing is wet. So simple!
How to Make Easy Nurse Hat Cookies Tutorial:
- Begin by baking the cookies and allowing them to cool completely before you start decorating.
- If your cookies are bumpy or aren’t flat when you take them out of the oven, here’s a little trick I use each time I bake sugar cookies. If you want to see how it’s done, you can find the tutorial at How to Flatten Your Cookies for A Smooth Decorating Surface so get ready for flat smooth cookies.
- The fun thing about cookies like these nurse hat cookies is you don’t have to color a ton of royal icing. White is all you need if you make the Red Crosses ahead of time. I think that’s why I love royal icing transfer because they make decorating easy.
- Outline the top and bottom part of the nurse hat cookies.
- You can decide if you want the corners of the hat to be sharp and pointed or rounded. I chose rounded for this set because it reminded me of all the nurse’s hats I’ve seen through the years. You decide which one you like better and go for it.
- If you have issues with your royal icing sinking in the middle you might want to add a few lines to the cookies before you flood them. It helps hold the flood icing in place and dry flat so you’ll have a smooth surface to decorate.
- Flood the top of the hat and use a turkey lacer or scribe tool to smooth out the royal icing.
- Let it dry for about ten to twenty minutes.
- Next, flood the rest of the hat.
- Add a Red Cross by dropping it on the wet icing.
- Here’s the pattern for the Red Cross for Nurse Hat so you can print it any time you’d like. You can add the cross to different things like lifeguard swim suits so you might want to make a few and keep them in an airtight container for later.
- Make sure the crosses are completely dry before you add them to the nurse hat cookies so it will reduce the risk of the icing colors bleeding together.
- Once you drop the royal icing cross on the nurse hat cookies, use a turkey lacer to nudge it into place.
- Let the cookies dry completely so you don’t smash the icing as you package or stack them. I hate it when that happens!
If you’re looking for cookies to say thank you to our amazing medical professionals you can add these to the How to make Simple Nurse Cookies and Thank you for Making My Heart Smile Cookies. I know you’d probably like a few more cookie ideas so I’m working on the videos and photos now. Keep watching because I’ll be sharing more soon.