How to Make Fun Little Llama Cookies
Don’t you love making something fun with a cookie-cutter even though it was designed for something else? Take these fun little llama cookies for example. They’re made with an ice cream cone cookie cutter and it works really well if you turn the cookie upside down. Let’s learn how to make a few.
Supply List for Fun Little Llama Cookies:
(may contain affiliate links)
- Kaleida Cuts Tall Ice Cream Cone Cookie Cutter– I purchased the 4″ Ice Cream Cone and it worked well for these fun little llama cookies.
Llama Heart Sunglasses Royal Icing Transfer FREE Pattern:
Royal Icing Colors:
- White- Outline and flood consistency.
- Peachy Color for the Sunglasses- Outline consistency.
- Blue- Outline and flood consistency and thick blue to pipe the rose swirl.
- Yellow- Thick yellow to pipe the rose swirl.
- Green- Thick to pipe the leaves.
- Black- Outline for the nose, mouth, and eyebrows if you choose to add them.
- Turkey Lacer, Thingamagenie Decorating Tool, or a Scribe Tool
- Tipless Piping Bags
- Leaf Tip- #352
- 2 Star Tips- #14
- Baby Pink Edible Art Decorative Paint and a paintbrush
- Foam Board- You can get foam board at The Dollar Tree for $1. You can cut it and get four foam boards for your royal icing transfers. It’s a great flat sturdy surface for transfers. I hope you try it because I love using them!
- Wax Paper
- Painters Tape
- Piping Tips- You’ll need a small star tip.n
- Optional- #2 decorating tips to help make the heart royal icing transfers and to help outline your llama cookie.
How to Make Fun Little Llama Cookies Video:
Enjoy the video!
What cookie cutter should I use?
- I often get asked questions about cookie cutter and one of the things I love about making cookies is we’re only limited by our imaginations. Look in the cookie cutters you already and look for an ice cream cone cutter. If you want the one I used for these cookies you can find it at Kaleida cuts. And to make things easy for you here is the link to the 4″ ice cream cone cutter I used Kaleida Cuts Tall Ice Cream Cone Cookie Cutter.
- The cutter is great for a birthday llama cookie and all you have to do is turn the cutter upside down. How simple is that!
Sunglasses Royal Icing Transfers:
Begin by printing your FREE pattern for your cute little llama’s sunglasses. You can make these weeks ahead of time so when it’s time to decorate, your glasses will be ready and waiting to add to your llama. You can also make them any color you want and use them on any cookie you’d like. I think we need a bear with cute sunglasses. Who’s with me?
Print your FREE Pattern for the Llama Sunglasses Royal Icing Transfers and tape it to a piece of foam board that has been cut a little larger than a piece of paper.
- Tape your pattern to the foam board and tape it into place. Cover it with a piece of wax paper and tape it into place. Once you have that done you’re ready to outline each heart with the peach outline royal icing. The glasses peeled off the wax paper much better when they weren’t attached like real glasses so I recommend you pipe each heart individually. If you want to add the connection between them you can do it after you add them to the cookies so save the food gel color amount you used to make them.
- Pipe a little of the outline consistency inside each heart and let it dry for a few minutes.
- Then, fill each heart with the flood consistency.
- Use a turkey lacer to push the icing into place.
- Let the glasses dry completely.
- When they’re completely dry remove them from your wax paper and store them in an airtight container away from the sun and they’ll last a really long time.
Outline and Flood the Ice Cream Cone Cookie:
- Outline the ice cream cone cookie with the outline consistency of royal icing.
- Let it dry until it crusts over which should take about ten minutes and then flood your fun little llama.
- Use a scribe tool or turkey lacer to pop any air bubbles and to push the icing into place.
Add the Stripes and Maybe the Sunglasses:
- While the white flood royal icing is wet, add a few blue stripes across the llama’s hat.
- Use the turkey lacer or scribe tool to make the stripes look pretty on the sides.
- You can add the heart sunglasses now or wait until the white royal icing dries. I’ll show you how to do that in a minute.
- Let the llama dry for a few minutes.
Time to Paint:
- Once your cookies have dried it’s time to paint the inner ears and cheeks. You can use a food gel color mixed with a little water or vodka or you can use Baby Pink Edible Art Decorative Paint. Whichever you prefer just keep in mind to dab off the brush on a paper towel before you touch the llama so it doesn’t break down the royal icing.
- Paint the inner ears and cheeks on your cute little guy.
Add the Sunglasses:
- You can add the sunglasses in a couple of different ways. You can add them when the white flood royal icing on your llama is wet. Carefully drop them on the wet icing and use a turkey lacer to gently and carefully move them into place.
- If you want to add them after the with flood royal icing has dried it’s a simple process. Add a drop of white royal icing for each heart and then drop the heart transfers on them and simply move them into place.
- While they dry you can add the nose and mouth.
Add the Nose and Mouth:
- Pipe a cute little heart with the black royal icing and use the turkey lacer to shape it like a nose.
Add the Swirl Flowers with Leaves:
- Finish the hat by piping a blue flower in the center of the bottom of the hat with a small star tip #14.
- Pipe a yellow swirl flower on each side of the blue swirl rose with a small star tip #14.
- Add a few leaves around the flowers with a #352 tip.
- Guess who forgot to pipe the mouth and the eyebrows? Yep! I forgot. You can watch the video to see how simple it is to add them.
So now you know how to make cute fun little llama cookies. They’re really simple when you use an ice cream cone cookie cutter and when you make the sunglasses ahead of time. I hope you get a chance to make some and if you do, send me a picture and I’ll share it on my Instagram stories. I look forward to seeing your creations!