Valentine’s Day Cookie, You’re Grrrreat and I’m not Lion!
I am going to share something with you today because I love ya! If you know me at all you’ll know that I love animals so much it makes me a modern-day Ellie May Clampett. I’ve got a southern accent and the love of animals, but I don’t have the perfect “10” figure she had. Maybe one day (fingers crossed) I’ll work hard and get skinny, but until then I’ll work on my sugar cookies. She was grrrreat with the animals on that show and I’m not Lion!
One of my favorite things about Valentine’s Day (besides the chocolate) is the animal cards kids give to their classmates. I remember getting cards with lions on them and wondered what a lion had to do with Valentine’s Day. Well, I am much older now and still don’t know the answer to that question, but I do know the cards were cute so I thought they would make cute cookies.
See! Anything with an animal on it is cute.
I made these cookies with twenty-second icing. To learn how to make it click here.
You’re Grrrreat and I’m not Lion Supply List:
(may contain affiliate links)
- Heart- Use one that’s large enough to hold the cowboy hat cookie cutter for the lion’s face.
- Cowboy Hat
Royal Icing Colors:
(I used Twenty-second icing on these lion cookies)
- Red Icing
- Yellow Icing
- Black Icing
- White Icing
- Pink Icing
- First, you need to bake your cookies.
- When you take the cookies out of the oven you can place the cowboy hat cutter on the heart and gently press down so your pattern is on the cookie and ready for you to decorate.
- You don’t what to press so hard it goes all the way through the heart. You just need to apply enough pressure to make an impression. Or, you can place the cowboy hat on the heart and trace it with a food-safe marker.
- If your cowboy hat cutter is too big for your heart cookie, you can trace it, make a copy, and shrink it on your copy machine to make it any size that will fit your heart.
- Once you get your impression on your cookie you are ready to decorate.
- I outlined the face with yellow and then added cute little ears.
- Next, outline the heart with the red royal icing.
- Now you are ready to flood the heart red.
- Once you’ve flooded it let it dry overnight because if you don’t, it might bleed into the yellow icing after you flood his face.
- Next, with the yellow royal icing, flood the lions head and the ears with the pink royal icing.
- It’s time for that cute big red nose you know you want to add!
- Pipe a red circle on the face and use a toothpick to help push it into place.
- Now you’re ready to add the cute little eyes because isn’t that what we see first when we look at the face? Add two dots of black royal icing and then add white dots so he’ll be a super cute Valentine’s Day treat.
I thought I would make a cookie bag topper for you so you don’t have to stress about how to package these cute little guys. Just click “You’re Sweet and I’m Not Lion Valentine Freebie!” and pack your cute little lion cookies because it’s that simple.