Rainbow Cake with an Airbrushing Video
I had a dream about a rainbow cake and I remembered this dream because I keep a note pad and pen on my nightstand in case I wake up with a good idea. Waking up with a good idea happens a lot, but unless I write it down immediately I end up trying all day long to remember what it was. With age comes wisdom and I finally learned to keep paper with me so let’s make my rainbow cake dream a reality.
Rainbow Cake Supplies:
(may contain affiliate links)
Rainbow Cake with Airbrushing Video:
This cake has 2 parts. The first part is the royal icing transfer rainbow and the second part is the cake. I am going to show you the cake first. I always do things backward! You can make the rainbow a week before you make your cake if you want. It does need to be made a couple of days ahead so it will be dry.
Bake 2 cakes and let them cool. You pick the flavor but, they both need to be the same size. Cut the cake boards so they are the same size as the bottom of the cake.
- I am so bad at making things even. I need help to cut cakes so I use things I have on hand. Today I used my little disco dust bottles. I placed 4 around my cake and used it as a guide for my knife. It works for me and if you have any tips, I would love for you to share them in the comment section.
- Let’s talk turntables for a minute. Cakes like this are so much easier with a cake decorating turntable. I am not saying you have to have one but, it makes things so much easier. I have this one from Fat Daddio and I love it. It weighs almost 20 pounds so it can candle any cake I throw at it. You can find turntables at local stores or cheaper ones online. You can also use your Michael’s coupon and get one for 40% off. I am not sure what brands they carry but, it is worth checking out.
- Once the cake is cut, remove the top layer and set it aside.
- Apply some frosting to the center and use the offset spatula to spread it to the sides.
- Place the top back on and spread a thin layer of icing on the sides and top. This is called the crumb coat. Chill for about 15 minutes in the freezer before you add the topcoat of icing. If the crumb coat is nice and cold, your topcoat won’t pick up crumbs and your icing will look nice and clean.
- Do this to both cakes.
- Next, remove the cake from the freezer and place a good amount of icing on top of it. With the offset spatula, work from the center of the cake to the edges pushing the icing off the edge as you slowly turn the cake. Place the second cake on top and cover it with icing.
- Apply a generous amount to the sides and top because you are going to remove it for the spiral effect in a minute.
- Once your cake is smooth with the topcoat, clean your spatula and use the tip to make a grove in the cake as you spin your turntable. Once you make your first circle, start guiding your spatula up as you spin.
- For the top, start on the edge and swirl to the center. You may need to clean your spatula several times during this step.
Rainbow Royal Icing Transfer
I have a little video for you since we are going to use the airbrush gun. Now, I must warn you, the weather here has been very gloomy and it is not as bright as I would like but, I wanted to share it with you.
- I made a few rainbow templates for you. Feel free to make them any size you want. Template 1 and Template 2. For instructions on how to make royal icing transfers click here or here. Remember to make extra because royal icing transfers will break.
- Once you have your patterns in place, outline the rainbows with white icing. Then flood every other one and let dry for about 20 minutes. If you don’t have an airbrush gun, you can use colored icing and it would be just as cute.
- Then flood the center. Let this dry overnight. It needs to be completely dry before you start moving it around for airbrushing.
- Here is a few helpful tutorials that might make you more comfortable using an airbrush gun so click here to learn how to use the airbrush gun. Click here to learn how to clean an airbrush gun.
- Once your rainbow is nice and colorful, place it into the top of your cake. I used a knife and made a couple of cuts so the rainbow wouldn’t break as it is placed in the cake.
If you want another cute cake, check out this one I made with the Shamrock Sugar Cubes
The rainbows would be really cute on cupcakes also. Make the templates any size you want. I also linked the top cake at Whipperberry.
Here are some really cute rainbows you should check out:
StuidoDIY- Rainbow Rock Candy Cake Topper
LizyB- Rainbow Ruffle Cookies
Betty Crocker- Rainbow Layer Cake Recipe
LilaLoa Rainbow Shamrocks
Glorious Treats- Taste the Rainbow Jello
Sweet Sugar Belle- Pretty Rainbow Cookie Favors
Rainbow Colored Hearts