Banana Pudding Recipe
My grandma was an amazing cook. I have many wonderful childhood memories of standing on a kitchen chair beside her cooking. It is where my love of baking began. I asked her for her banana pudding recipe when my kids were small and it is the one I still use today. I don’t know if I will ever use another one.
There was a time in my life when I would only make banana pudding for special occasions or holidays but, the older I get the more I realize life is short. Now, I make the banana pudding on a Monday just because I want to. No special occasion required because after all, isn’t every day a reason to celebrate? I think it is.
I always double the recipe for the pudding because, well, I like it. I want a lot of it covering my bananas and wafers but, you can make a single batch or a double batch. It is up to you but, double is always better in my opinion.
I love making banana pudding because the kids can help cut the bananas, layer the pudding, and lick the bowl of course. Baking with the kids is a wonderful way to make lasting memories. I will always remember my grandma making me feel special by letting me cut the bananas with a butter knife. She made me feel like a grown-up and look how she planted a love of baking in this little girl.
Banana Pudding Recipe
- 1 ½ cups of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ cups of cold milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 3 large bananas
- 1 package of vanilla wafers
- 3 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Mix sugar, flour, eggs, milk and vanilla flavoring in a double boiler over medium heat until it starts to thicken. Remove from heat.
- Slice bananas into even pieces. Layer bananas, wafers and pudding until you use all the ingredients ending with pudding.
- For the Meringue
- Beat the egg whites until fluffy. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat until mixed.
- Top with meringue topping and place in an oven set on broil. Broil until the meringue turns golden brown. It will brown very fast so watch it closely. Place in refrigerator for at least an hour before you serve it. Store in refrigerated.