Chocolate Roll Out Cookies Recipe
Chocolate roll-out cookies have always been one of my favorites. I like a chocolate roll-out cookie that reminds me of a brownie. I didn’t want a thick and gooey cookie, just one with a little more of a brownie flavor. When trying to find that perfect brownie-like recipe I found myself disappointed. There are a lot of good recipes out there so if you have one you like, stick with it!
Sometimes you just need to get in the kitchen and start experimenting which is exactly what I’ve been doing for the past few weeks. It finally paid off because these little chocolate roll-out cookies are exactly what I’ve been looking for. I hope you like them as much as I do.
The thing about these chocolate roll-out cookies are they don’t spread when you bake them. Even if you re-roll the dough several times, the cookies maintain their shape when baked. One other thing I want to let you know is when you transfer them onto the baking sheet lined with a Silpat or parchment paper, they are a little delicate. You may want to roll them out a little thicker than a 1/2″ but that thickness seems to work for me so I stuck with it.
Have you ever made chocolate roll-out cookies for Easter? Putting chocolate of any kind in an Easter basket will make me one hopping happy woman! I know every “bunny” in my family loves chocolate bunnies so why not give them several different types to nibble on.
Chocolate Roll Out Cookies:
Chocolate Roll Out Cookies
- ½ cup of butter softened (4 ounces)
- ½ cup of shortening
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 teaspoon of strong coffee liquid coffee that has been brewed
- ½ cup of cocoa
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2 ½ cup of all-purpose flour
- Place butter and shortening in the bowl of an electric mixer and mix on low until well mixed. Scrape the sides and mix again. Add the sugar and mix. Add the egg, coffee, and vanilla and mix until combined. Mix in the salt. Add the cocoa and mix on low until well combined scraping the sides often. With the mixer on low, add the flour one cup at a time and mix just until the ingredients are mixed.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for one hour. Set the dough on the counter for about 10 minutes so it will be soft enough to work with. Roll to ½” thick and cut shapes with the cookie cutters. Place shapes on a baking sheet lined with a Silpat or parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 7-11 minutes. Oven times may vary so watch them closely. Let them cool before decorating.
Here are some other roll out recipes that I have used in the past and really like. I am sure you will find a few you will want to add to your recipe box.