Sprinkle Sugar Cookies
What’s better than a good old sugar cookie? Sprinkle sugar cookies of course! Take a simple sugar cookie recipe and add any color combination of sprinkles to make festive cookies for holidays and special occasions. Red, green and white sprinkles for Christmas cookies or orange and black for Halloween cookies or you can add someone’s favorite colors for special birthday cookies.
What is your favorite sports team colors? Did you say orange and white? Okay, that is my favorite team colors, but you can add sprinkles in your team colors to the cookie dough to make quick and simple sports cookies. The color combinations are endless!
- 4 cups 17 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 sticks butter 8 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of sprinkles
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl.
- Add butter and sugar to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix.
- Gradually add the flour mixture one cup at a time and mix until it is all combined.
- Divide dough into 3 discs and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm, at least one hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Let disk of dough stand at room temperature just until soft enough to roll, about 10 minutes.
- Bake for 6-9 minutes.
Sprinkle Sugar Cookies:
- Begin by following the sugar cookie recipe and mixing the dough.
- Next, add the sprinkles.
- You can add as many or as few as you want and mix just until combined. Be careful not to over mix or your dough will spread when you bake it.
- For this tutorial I only used half of the cookie dough recipe. I divided the dough in half before adding the sprinkles and used the other half to make New Year’s cookies that you will see soon.
- Roll out the cookie dough and cut it into squares with a pizza cutter or you can use your favorite cookie cutters. If you use a cookie cutter, start by cutting the dough in the middle and then work out to one side. It seems to help make the squares more even that way. Then, turn sideways and repeat.
- Bake at 375° for 6-9 minutes. Since oven temperatures vary, you will need to keep an eye on them.
- Let them cool and enjoy!
As you can see, these cookies don’t need icing but if you want to add some, go for it. I think they are perfect either way.
So what are you waiting for? Add some sprinkles to your day!
More Sprinkled Goodies:
Cupcake Puppy Chow by Sally’s Baking Addiction
Sprinkles! DIY Custom Colors by Bubbly Nature Creates
Funfetti Sugar Cookie Cake by Sally’s Baking Addiction