How to Make Fun Little Chick Cookies with Video
Do you remember the other day when I made the Simple Bunny Cookies with the Cute Bunny Tushies? I liked them so much I decided to make a few friends for them. I mean come on, if bunny tushies are that cute, chick cookies with cute little chick tushies have to be just as cute!
Since the bunnies got a few carrots to munch on I thought the chick cookies needed a few worms in case they get hungry. What do you think? I think I want to make every animal on the planet into cute little tushy cookies. Maybe we can start a world wide cookie business called Sugar Cookie Tushies…adorable cookies not buts about it! I know. I know I need to work on that tagline.
Supplies for Chick Cookies:
(may contain affiliate links)
- Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Royal Icing Recipe – Full Batch or Half a Batch of Royal Icing
- *All the Icing Used in This Tutorial is 15 Second Royal Icing
- Scalloped Heart Cookie Cutter- these chicks were made with a 4″ cutter but you can use any size you want.
- Bow Tie Cookie Cutter-The one used here was 2″ and I think it came with the chick in this Wilton set. If you don’t have this one just pick one that fits the size of your chick cookie.
- Scalloped Circle Cookie cutter
- Worm Cookie Cutter-Any worm cutter will work but the one used here is from the Wilton Animal Pal Set.
Royal Icing Colors:
- Yellow- AmeriColor Lemon Yellow Soft Food Gel Paste
- Red- AmeriColor Super Red Soft Food Gel Paste
- Orange- AmeriColor Electric Orange Soft Food Gel Paste
- #2 PME Decorating Tips
- Decorating bags or bottles
- Turkey Lacer for popping air bubbles
- Baking Sheet lined with Parchment Paper or Silpat
Chick Cookie Video:
Enjoy the video!
We need to discuss the little chick wings. They aren’t hard to make but they may need some explaining. They say a picture is worth a thousand words so I made you a picture.
- Begin with a 2″ scalloped circle cookie.
- Cut it in half.
- Flip the 2 half circles over and place them together.
- Use the circle cookie cutter to cut the outer edge of the halves. When you are done, you have 2 simple little chick wings.
- If you don’t want to use the circle cookie cutter to make the wings, you can always use a mini leaf cookie cutter. Whatever works right?!
Outline and Flood:
- Once you make a batch of cookie dough and baked up your little chicks, wings, worms and bows, let them cool completely before you bake.
- Outline the hearts and wings with the yellow royal icing.
- Flood the chick cookies and wings with the yellow icing and add the 4mm Black Pearl Dragees for the eyes or you can use black icing to make them.
- Let the cookie dry either overnight or for a few hours. Since my climate is humid, I let them dry overnight before adding the beak and feet to help prevent the colors from bleeding together. If you live in a dry climate, lucky you! You don’t have to wait as long.
- Add the beak and the feet with the orange icing and let it dry overnight.
- Pipe 2 ovals with the red icing at the top of the bow tie.
- Let it dry for 10-20 minutes until the icing crusts over.
- Flood the rest of the heart and let it dry for 10-20 minutes.
- Pipe a dot in the center of the bow.
- Outline hearts with the yellow icing and let them dry for about 10-20 minutes.
- Flood the cookies and don’t cover the tushy line.
- Let it dry for about 20 minutes before you add the tail feathers.
- Let the cookies dry before piping the feet with the orange icing.
Chicken Legs or Feet:
- The worms are so simple I didn’t make a tutorial.
- Begin by outlining the body with the red icing.
- Pipe two lines (that don’t touch) on the neck area and let it dry for 10-20 minutes.
- Flood the worm with the red icing and add a candy eye.
- Pipe the centerline on the worms neck.
- Let the cookies dry overnight.
I Love the Little Worms:
So now that we have bunny and chick tushy cookies, what can we make next? I vote for sheep tushy cookies. Have you made them before or any tushy cookies for that matter? If so, add a link in the comment section and show us where to find them. I know we would all love to see them!