How to Make Nutter Butter Cookies with Video
When I was a kid I loved nutter butter cookies. When my mom would bring them home from the store I would get super excited like it was Christmas or something. All I could think about was that soft cookie with the creamy peanut butter filling. YUM! Did you know you can make them yourself?
Better yet you can make the cookies from a cookie mix. Yep! Bettey Crocker makes a peanut butter cookie mix and it’s perfect for these cute little nutter butter cookies.
Nutter Butter Cookie Recipe
Nutter Butter Cookies are a fun easy to make peanut butter sandwich cookie with a creamy peanut butter filling. The cookies are shaped like cute little peanuts.
- 1 Package of Betty Crocker Peanut Butter Cookie Mix
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tablespoons of Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tablespoon of water
- 1/2 stick of butter at room temperature
- 1 cup of Peanut Butter
- 4 Tablespoons of Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of Vanilla
- 2 cups of Confectionary’ Sugar (aka Powdered Sugar)
- Mix the cookie mix, oil, egg and water until well blended and you can shape the dough with your hand.
- Once the cookie mix is ready, break off a little piece and place it in a mini number 8 or snowman cookie cutter. I used a set of mini eyes cookie cutter from a set of ghost cutters I got at Wal-Mart.
- If you don’t have a mini cookie cutter that will work, roll two small balls and place them side by side.
- Use a turkey lacer or toothpick to make the peanut lines in each cookie. You should have about 65-2 1/2″ cookies which will make about 32 Nutter Butter Cookies.
- Bake at 375° for 5-7 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool before adding the filling.
- Mix the peanut butter, butter, milk until well blended.
- Add 1 cup of powdered sugar and mix well.
- Repeat with the second cup of powdered sugar.
Spread some filling on the back side of a peanut butter cookie and top with another cookie.
I first saw homemade nutter butter cookies on Pinterest and followed the link back to Kitchen Belleicious blog. If you don’t want to use a cookie mix you can follow her recipe. They look amazing!
- Open a package of the Betty Crocker Peanut Butter Cookie Mix and place it in a bowl.
- Add the egg, oil, and water and mix until well combined. The recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of water but I found this works better with only one tablespoon of water.
Here comes the fun part. We’re going to shape the cookies into little peanut shapes and there are a couple of ways to do it.
- You can use a cookie cutter like a mini number eight, a mini snowman, or a pair of mini eyes.
- Once you have the shapes, use a turkey lacer or a toothpick to make the little lines in your cookies. Watch the video to see how simple it is.
- If you don’t have a cookie cutter that will work you can roll some dough into two little balls.
- Place them side by side on the cookie sheet. Make sure they are touching.
- Then, use the turkey lacer to make the lines in the peanuts.
- This may take a little while so if you have kiddos ask them for a little help.
- Bake the cookies at 375° for 5-7 minutes. They will start to look slightly brown on the edges when they are done.
- Let them cool completely.
- To make the filling, add the room temperature butter, peanut butter, milk (start with 2 tablespoons) and vanilla to a bowl and mix until its combined.
- Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time and mix well.
- If the filling is too thick you can add another tablespoon of milk to make it the consistency you want.
- Spread a little filling onto the back of a cookie and top with another cute little peanut cookie.
How to Make Nutter Butter Cookies Video:
I hope you enjoy the video because I sure enjoy making these little cookies. Adding the texture to the top is my favorite!
These cute little nutter butter cookies are great with our without the filling. You can make nutter butter cookies or just fun peanut shaped peanut butter cookies. Either way they’re delicious!