How to Make Star Trek Cookies with a Video
I want to tell you a little story about last week. I fell asleep on a plane in Tennessee and woke up in Texas. It’s okay because that is where I needed to go to help a friend with a really, really fun project. I don’t want to give you the details of the project yet but I will very soon in a fun cookie way. Anyway, while I was in Texas we had a chance to go see the new Star Trek movie and it was really good. Its probably my favorite Star Trek movie to date because it was intense, funny at times and entertaining all the way around. The best part is it inspired these cookies.
I bet your wondering what cutter was used to make these Star Trek cookies. Well, I can help you out with that information. They’re made with a Double Popsicle Cookie Cutter from Whisked Away Cutters but she has two different double popsicle cutters. They’re almost the same so be sure you get the one with stick area. Flip the cutter upside down so your little characters will be easy to make.
Supplies for Star Trek Cookies:
Royal Icing Colors:
Blue-Spock AmeriColor Sky Blue
Black-AmeriColor Super Black
Flesh Colored Icing-AmeriColor Ivory with a tiny touch of Chocolate Brown
Other Characters-AmeriColor Super Red, Lemon Yellow and Chocolate Brown
Double Popsicle Cookie Cutter from Whisked Away Cutters and you’ll need the double popsicle cookie cutter with the base.
Food Safe Marker
4mm Black Pearl Dragees
Piping Bags with Couplers
#2 Decorating Tips
These cookies were inspired by this Star Trek iPhone wallpaper by TwoFishProject and she has some really cut wallpaper so you should check it out!
- Begin by making a batch of sugar cookie dough and cut out your shapes.
- Trace the cookie cutter onto a piece of paper and cut it out so you will have a template.
- Draw a line at the top of the head for the hair, a line for the face and a line at the bottom of the shirt to separate the shirt and pants.
- Cut off the pants and the hair.
- Next, draw and trim the line at the neck but don’t cut it off completely. Leaving it attached at one side will allow you to fold over the pattern and trace it onto the cookie so all of your cookies will have the same pattern on them.
- Outline and flood Spock’s hair and pants area with the black icing and let the icing dry completely.
- Next, outline and flood the shirt area with the blue royal icing and let it dry for about an hour.
- Use the flesh colored royal icing and make two ears and let them dry for about 10 minutes until the top of the icing crusts over.
- If you want to see it done a bit differently you can watch the video so you can see how to do the face and ears in one step.
- Outline and flood the face with the flesh colored icing and use the turkey lacer to smooth it out.
- Add the 4mm Black Pearl Dragees for the eyes while the icing is wet and use the turkey lacer to gently move them into place.
- Add the sideburns with the black icing. I thought it looked a little weird so I added a second layer over all of the hair. I know it may seem weird but it worked.
- Add a drop of black royal icing to the shirt and use a turkey lacer to make the Star Trek Delta Symbol. It looks like a wonky triangle.
- Pipe a line in between the pants and the shirt and an additional line between the top of the shirt and the face .
- All done! To make the other characters just change up the colors and leave off the Vulcan ears.
I seriously love these cookies and never dreamed of using a double popsicle cutter to make them. I love when that happens don’t you!
Seeing the new Star Trek movie with my friend in Texas was pretty amazing and almost as fun as the project I got to work on while I was there. When one of your best friends lives several states away you don’t get to do things like watch movies or go out to eat together and its kind of sad. But on the rare occasion when you do get to spend time together you not only watching a movie or eating out, your making memories that will last a life time. I owe all the thanks to cookie decorating because decorating has helped me make friends all over the world! Who knew sugar could change you life and help you make friends!
Just in case you want another Star Trek Cookie Tutorial here how you can learn yo Make Star Trek Stick Cookies.