Alien Cookies with a How to Video
Have you ever wanted to make a set of cookies but couldn’t get it to turn out the way you wanted? That happened with me on these alien cookies. I had an entirely different plan for them and I couldn’t make it happen. So I baked a few more cookies, changed my plans and decorated a few planets, space guns, stars and alien cookies. It may not have worked out the way I wanted it to but I think these little green guys won me over with their crooked little grins.
I guess the point I want to make with this tutorial is to never give up. I was frustrated for about 3 hours trying to fix one cookie and almost gave up on the entire set. After walking away for a minute I decided to change the set and drop the cookie design that was frustrating me. The set looks good without it but it’s not what I originally planned but thats okay because they weren’t part of an order so it gave me the freedom to simplify. Thank goodness I didn’t give up.
Supplies for Alien Cookies:
Girl and Skull Cutter from the Sugarbelle’s Shape Shifter Set
- Begin by baking a batch of cookie dough and cutting out your shapes. Let the cookies cool completely before you decorate them.
- Make a batch of royal icing and tint it the colors you want. Place them in decorating bags fitted with a coupler and #2 decorating tip, decorating bottles or tipless bags.
- Use a food safe marker to draw the eyes on the alien cookie.
- TIP: Cut an oval or egg shape piece of paper to use as a template. Place your turkey lacer down the center of the face from the top of the head to the chin so it will help you position the eyes. When I didn’t use the turkey lacer the eyes were a bit all over the place.
- Once you trace the eyes onto the alien cookies, outline the eyes with the black royal icing.
- Next, outline the alien head with the green royal icing.
- Flood the eyes with the black royal icing.
- Add the white highlight to each eye while the black icing is wet.
- Let the icing dry for a few hours so the colors won’t bleed together.
- Flood the alien head with the green royal icing.
- While the icing is wet, add the mouth and eyebrows with a drop of black icing and a turkey lacer. You can watch the video below to see how it’s done.
How to Make Alien Cookies Video:
You aren’t going to believe how easy it is to make these fun little alien cookies. Who knew Sugarbelle’s Skull Cutter would make simple little alien cookies. I love how simple her designs are and versatile the cutters can be.
I didn’t give up on this set but I did change the design to make it work. I’m not going to give up on the one cookie I removed because I’m going to keep working on it until I get it right and when I do, it will be sweet! Stick with it my friends. We can do this!