Chocolate Covered Mummy Oreo’s – with Video
Look at the candy eyes on these Decorated Chocolate Covered Mummy Oreo’s! They’re not only cute, they taste wonderful! Who knew dipping an Oreo in chocolate would make it out of this world amazing! Not me but, I do now! I sure wish they made these when I was a kid because they would have made my favorite holiday even better. Mostly because of the candy but it was also a time to let you mind wonder and make cute crafts and eat popcorn balls until your tummy hurt. I will still make my pumpkin popcorn balls and now I can also bring these little guys to the party.
Supplies for Chocolate Covered Mummy Oreo’s:
Shortening-1/2 teaspoon of shortening to each ounce of chocolate.
Piping Bag or a Ziploc bag
I didn’t have a plan on making chocolate covered mummy Oreo’s this season until I saw these Oreo’s in the store. The little skeleton and bright orange filling pushed me over the edge and I decided then and there I needed to get busy melting a little chocolate. I’m so glad I did. I love sugar cookies and all but, sometimes waiting on the royal icing to dry doesn’t give you instant satisfaction. It’s a process that takes time. That’s why making chocolate covered mummy Oreo’s are so fun. Instant satisfaction? Yes, please.
You don’t have to do anything to prepare the Oreo mold other than fill each hole with the Oreo’s and melted chocolate. I’ll show you how to remove them in a moment.
- There are a couple of different ways you can melt the white chocolate. You can melt them in the microwave or in a double boiler on the stove. I prefer melting them on the stove because I seem to be in more control. If you like the microwave better just follow the direction on back of the bag.
- Before you melt the white chocolate, place about a tablespoon of shortening in the bowl and melt it completely. This will help the chocolate melt without lumps and will help cover the Oreo with a nice shiny smooth later of chocolate. Don’t try to replace it with butter or margarine because they contain water and will mess up your chocolate.
- Once the oil is melted add the chocolate. Melt on the stove or in the microwave. I used the White Wilton Candy Melts for these little guys and it worked out great.
- Fill each Oreo hole a little less than half way with the white chocolate and then pick up the mold and tap it gently on the table to pop any air bubbles and to make sure the mold is covered in chocolate.
- Add an Oreo Cookie to each hole and gently press it down so the cookie is inside of each mold. If the cookie is higher than the edge of the mold it won’t sit flat when the chocolate covered Oreo Mummy’s are done.
- Cover each cookie with a little more chocolate.
- Once the cookies are covered gently tap the mold on the table again to make sure there aren’t any air bubbles.
- Take a offset spatula or knife and scrape off the excess chocolate.
- Freeze the chocolate covered Mummy Oreo’s for about 15 minutes. Once they’re cold, they will pop right out of the mold.
- See. Simple!
- Next you need to make the mummies look liked they’re covered in bandages so grab the melted chocolate and place a little into a piping or Ziploc bag.
- Trim a tiny amount off the tip of the bag or one of the corners off of the Ziploc bag.
- Next, drizzle the melted chocolate over the mummies and keep in mind that the direction is important. If you zigzag the bag, the chocolate will also be zig-zagged. It’s best if you work side to sided with the drizzle and then go back and add a bandage or two that’s criss crossed.
- Add the candy eyes with a drop of melted chocolate and let them dry. It doesn’t take long and then you will have a nice set of chocolate covered mummy Oreo’s to share with all your trick-or-treaters.
Chocolate Covered Mummy Oreo’s for Halloween Video:
I even made a little video so you can see the mummies come to life. Enjoy!
You’d better hurry and eat a few before they all disappear!