How to Make Pie Cupcakes That Look Real
Have you seen these cute little pie cupcakes? If you been on Pinterest I bet you have. It was around Thanksgiving when I saw them and all I could think about was how adorable they are and that I had to make them asap. I didn’t know making pies would be so simple. I think buttercream frosting pies are way easier to make then real pies. Well, at least the crust is easier.
Supply List for Pie Cupcakes:
Buttercream Frosting Colors:
Tan-Mix a drop of brown and yellow food gel colors until you get the desired tan color
Other Ingredients and Supplies:
M&M’s-Divide the different colors into bowls
Decorating Tips #21 and #4
- Begin by making your favorite cupcakes and let them cool completely.
- While they’re cooling make the buttercream frosting.
- You’ll need tan and white frosting to make the pies.
- Place the frosting in the decorating bag fitted with the couplers. The white is fitted with the #21 tip and the tan is fitted with the #4 tip.
- Pipe some tan frosting on the top of the cupcake.
- While the frosting is wet, add the M&M’s with the “M” facing down into the frosting.
- Cover the top of the cupcake. It’ll take about 15-20 M&M’s depending on the size of your cupcakes.
- With the tan frosting, pipe lines across the M&M’s. Go from left to right and then top to bottom then sprinkle them with sanding sugar.
- Next, make the border of the pie.
- Use the #4 tip and pipe a dot. Once you have a dot, start to release pressure on the decorating bag and pull the tip toward you. I know this may sound weird, but you can watch the video to see it in action.
- Repeat all the way around the cupcake and immediately sprinkle the border with sanding sugar.
- Add a little ‘whipped topping’ to the center of the pie with the #21 tip with the white frosting.
- All done!
Pie Cupcakes Video
The borders are easier than trying to make a real pie. You can use a star tip or a rose tip if you want a different border. I went for simple today and hope you like it.
Are the cupcakes with the red M&M’s strawberry or cherry? I guess you’ll need to decide that on your own, but I think mine are cherry. So the next time your in the mood for pie, try a cherry, blueberry, or lemon pie cupcake. They don’t taste like pie, but I’ll bet they’ll make you smile.