How to Decorate a Cookie with Royal Icing (Video)

I have had several emails lately asking me how I flood my cookies. The question isn’t so much how do you flood a cookie but, more how do you make them look “full” or “puffy.” I thought I would make a how to decorate a cookie with royal icing video to show you how I do it.

How to Decorate a Cookie with Royal Icing Video via thebearfootbaker.com

Decorate a Cookie with Royal Icing Supplies:

White Outline Icing
Flood Icing- Colors are up to you
BooBoo Stick or
Turkey Lacer
Cookie Recipe
Royal Icing Recipe

How to outline a cookie with Royal IcingThere is one thing that I want to make sure I point out. When you outline your cookies, don’t hold the tip close to the cookie. If you hold the tip close and your hand shakes, so will your outline. If you hold the tip away from the cookie, you will more control to gently lay the icing on the edge of the cookie.

Enough talking! Let’s get to the video.

How to decorate a cookie with royal icing video. Remember, this is my first video so please be nice=) If you are looking for some tips and tricks to cookie decorating, you may enjoy the  “Beginners Guide to Cookie Decorating”. If you would like a free printable cookie supply shopping list that lists all the AmeriColor Gel and Wilton colors, click here.

Signature

Comments

1. Love it :-) The music is so fun!

2. Wonderful first video…even has music!

3. Awesome job on the video and as always thank you so much for sharing and teaching!!!

4. Nice video – the repeat with colors was good – I like to see a process more than once in a video…or else I have to watch the video multiple times. Do more, do more!!!

• Debbie, that is the reason I did more than one cookie! I have to watch over and over too! LOL I hope to do more soon and thanks for liking it! Hahahah

5. GREAT job! Thanks for sharing this. And the video is wonderful, just right. You make it look like we all can do this!

6. Agree that the music is fun and I love that you showed the process multiple times. Even though I’ve made loads of cookies this past year, I still find it so helpful to actually see what other cookiers out there are doing. Thanks lady!

7. I agree with everyone else, the video was great and love seeing the actions and not talk, but fun and happy music! Great job! Keep that up!

8. you are too cute!

9. Brooksley Williams says:

Thank you for the great video! May I ask how thin is your flood icing and what size PME tip did you use? When I thin my icing too much, I tend to get bubbles (and yours did not seem to have a single one!). Is there a way to mix the water into piping icing to avoid bubbles? Thanks!

10. You did an awesome job.

11. Sweetsugarbelle says:

I’m not usually a fan of videos but I think this is one of the best cookie video I’ve ever seen! You’re a natural and we want MORE MORE MORE!!!

• You have been inspiring me since I picked up my first piping bag! MORE MORE MORE is how I feel every time is see a new post from you!!

12. Kim (Barefoot n Baking) says:

Fantastic job on your first video! Loved it…..wish I had seen some great videos on the simple basics when I first started. Will definitely share this. I too, like to see things more than once.

13. Oh, I just love this! I clicked on it, looking forward to hearing your voice and got treated to this delightful song! You did a wonderful job on your first video!! So cute and so easy for anyone to understand! Again, great job! (and thanks for the cute tune to listen to!) I do miss your voice though. :0)

14. So great! I love the simple, but perfect cookies, and the music is sweet too!

15. Love the video, you did a great job. I have a great recipe for royal icing, but struggle with the right consistency for the flooding. You make it look so effortless.

16. Cynthia Huckins says:

Know one would ever guess that this was your first video! Thanks

17. Hard to believe that’s your first video – so well done!

18. Lisa !
    Love your video!!

19. FUN ! FUN ! FUN!….put a smile on my face and a ZING in my step. Well Done

20. Katydoescookies says:

Great video. Please do more. I need to “see” it done not just read about it when it comes to decorating cookies. Especially if it is something I struggle with, and smooth surfaces are something I struggle with. Thanks–Katy

• I will try really hard to make more Katy! Thanks for the encouragement! If you ever have icing questions, just shoot me and email and I will try to help.

21. I love it! Thanks for sharing!
    Great first vídeo, can’t wait for more to come!

22. Hi! Love your site, I have to check in several times a week! Thanks for the video tutorial, it’s so helpful! Can you tell me the name of that darker blue colour you used to flood the last cookie in the tutorial, it was absolutely gorgeous! Thanks! Have a great day!

23. Well, my dear it looks like EVERYONE loved the video you made – It was so much fun I loved watching it!!

24. So, after watching your video I’m excited.No, really, EXCITED. I have icing waiting from yesterday ready to ice my frogs. You know, the cookie you’ve been desperate to ice. The design has been drawn and you have ALL the fancy sprinkles? Thanks to you, the icing is perfect, really perfect and oh so smooth. My heart skips a beat. The eyes are on, pearl necklace is SO Glamorous, the crown is glimmering gold. I’m feeling like a pro and then the unthinkable happens….I try to move her. Not pick her up or anything, just give her a little nudge along the bench….and there it is, a smudge in her perfect Froggy leg. Not just a smudge, more of a crumple. Something that cannot be repaired. And if this is not enough, the next Miss Froggy gets a crumpled mouth, and the next Miss froggy’s lips fall from my tweezers and land askew! OH DEAR.
    NOTE TO SELF….when they say leave icing to dry for 6 hrs, ….they mean it! BG learning curve served for lunch today!
    Oh we’ll, it’s food right? Looks like froggy’s for morning tea tomorrow!
    Xoxo

25. Love the colours Lisa! And the music. This is the first time I’ve left a comment, but I really enjoy your blog :)
    R

26. Thank you for sharing! :-) Good job for your first video! The music is upbeat to match the mood while making cookies…. :-D

K

27. The video is great and super informative! I had no idea how to do this. I posted it on our facebook page! Thanks so much and well done xx

28. I thought it was perfect! The music was so cute. The video was well lit and angle was great, and close enough to see every detail. The notations were easy to read and understand. What’s not to love? Can’t wait to see more videos! Oh and the cookies were just adorable.

29. I’m a glazer who wants to dabble in RI now and this video was perfect for calming my fears about the pesky air bubbles ;). Cute video to watch!!

30. Great video! Really takes the cake…..er…..cookie!

31. Donna B. says:

Somehow I missed this! All I can say is “Ditto” to all the compliments! I like this type of video to see clear and up close the “how”! Gives alot clearer picture of the icing consistancy done in little segments like this. Keep up the good work, Lisa and thank you for taking the time to share like you do!
    Blessings, Donna B.

32. Can’t believe I missed this one…I love it!! And I love your choice of music!! Great job, Lisa!!

33. Great video…especially for your first time!! Look forward to many more!

34. I Love it! Thanks for share it!