Butter Cookies in Christmas Shapes
Christmas time means making cookies but, with all the parties, plays, movies, and decorating it is really hard to find time to make decorated sugar cookies as much as I would like. I have a lot of other recipes I make during Christmas like these simple butter cookies in Christmas shapes dipped in chocolate and rainbow sprinkles. And what better way to display them than hanging them on the side of your coffee cup.
Have you ever had butter cookies? I like dipping them in my coffee but sometimes the sprinkles fall off and I think some funky colored bug has found it’s way into my cup and I scream really loud until I realize it is just a green rainbow sprinkle. Has this ever happened to you? No? Just me? Oh well. It doesn’t stop me from hanging them on my cup.
Supplies for Butter Cookies:
Christmas Tree Cutter
The letter I Cookie Cutter
Butter Cookie Recipe
- 1 Cup of butter (8 oz.)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 2/3 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of orange juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix flour and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg, vanilla and orange juice.
- Add the flour and salt mixture and mix until it is combined.
- Chill dough for about an hour.
- Roll out to 1/4" thick and cut into shapes.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
Cut out a few Christmas trees and make a notch by follow these directions.
Once your cookies are made and cooled off, melt some chocolate in the microwave 30 seconds at a time until melted. Dip the cookies into the chocolate. You can chose to dip the entier cookie or only part of it. For the trees, I like the look of only one side dipped.
Now it is time for the really fun part. Turn on some Christmas music or pop in a Christmas video and sit back, slow down from all the hustle and bustle and enjoy Christmas while you have some cookies and coffee.
If you aren’t crazy about butter cookies, here are some other cookies you can hang on the side of your coffee, milk or tea.
- Santa Hanging Cup Cookies
- Stocking Place Card Cookies
- Gingerbread Cookies that Hang on Your Cup
- How to Make Your Own Hanging Cup Cookies