How to Make Donut Cookies
Do you like donuts? Do you like to play tricks on people? If you do, you should totally make these donut cookies for a Superbowl snack and watch your guest go crazy when they realize they aren’t donuts at all! They will be shocked to find out they are sugar cookies that are decorated like their favorite donuts and will probably ask you to make them for their next party.Do you see your favorite flavor?
Supplies for Donut Cookies:
Large Circle Cookie Cutter-5″
Small Circle Cookie Cutter-1 1/2″
Royal Icing Colors:
Tan-AmeriColor Ivory with a touch of Wilton Brown
Pink-A tiny amount of AmeriColor Red
Sprinkles & Toppings:
Toasted Coconut-bake some coconut in a 350° oven until it starts to turn brown. Stir it once during the toasting process.
Graham Cracker Crumbs
Mixed Colored Jimmies
White Pearlized Sugar Crystals
You may be wondering about the size of the circles I used to make the donuts. I normally like cookies between 2.5″ – 3″ but every now and then I like a big cookie. Feel free to make them any size you want, but in my opinion, you can’t make a donut cookie too big!
Making these cookies is about as easy as decorating gets. The icing consistency doesn’t have to be perfect or you don’t have to pipe things super neat. The main thing to remember is not to over flood the cookies so the royal icing and toppings don’t fall off the side. Other than that, get creative and add your favorite toppings or make different sizes so you will have the perfect cookie snacks. If you want to offer some variety in sizes, make a bunch of donut holes to sit along side them. Everyone will go on and on about how creative you are!
- Begin by outlining and flooding the donut cookies.
- Remember not to overfill them with the royal icing or you will end up with a giant mess. One that you can eat of course so all is not lost.
- While the royal icing is wet, add the Chocolate Jimmies.
- Use a coffee filter to catch the sprinkles so you can add them back to the container so you can use them later.
- You can make the donut holes the same way. Aren’t they cute!
- For the next cookie, outline and flood with the same brown royal icing.
- While the icing is wet add some graham cracker crumbs. I like the look of the bigger graham cracker crumbs but you make your crumbs smaller if you’d like.
- Outline and cookie with the tan royal icing.
- While the icing is wet, add some of the toasted coconut.
- Don’t be stingy with amount you add.
- When you pick up the coconut donut, try not to shake off the coconut so your cookie will look nice and full.
If you visit your favorite donut place you know you have to buy a few of the pink donuts with the colorful Jimmies. It just isn’t right to leave fun donuts behind. So grab one or two cookies and add these sprinkle donut cookies to your platter. They look good with pink or brown royal icing and they will probably be the first one’s eaten just because sprinkles make us happy!
Here is a little How to Make Donut Cookies Video. I know how you like to see things in action so enjoy.
I would love to stick around and chat but the coconut donut cookies are calling my name! Want me to save you one? Just name the flavor and I will have it ready when you come over! Enjoy the Super Bowl!
If you are looking for more game days snacks, you can Make an Easy Pizza Cookie Platter and that should about cover your Super Bowl snacks. Now let’s watch some FOOTBALL! Hut hut hike!