Caramel Apple Dump Cake Recipe
Have you ever made a dump cake? I know the name sounds really weird and you probably don’t want to eat anything with the word ‘dump’ in it, but you need to get past the name and give it a try. This caramel apple dump cake is delicious and even more delicious with vanilla ice cream and caramel topping!
Supplies for Caramel Apple Dump Cake:
2 cans of apple pie filling
1 ½ teaspoons of ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon of nutmeg
A little more nutmeg and cinnamon for sprinkling on the top of the cake
11 ounce bag of caramels
1 box of white cake mix
1 stick of butter
Caramel Apple Dump Cake Recipe
- 2 Cans of apple pie filling
- 1 ½ teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of nutmeg
- A little more nutmeg and cinnamon for sprinkling on the top of the cake
- 11 ounce bag of caramels
- 1 box of white cake mix
- 1 stick of butter
- Place the apple pie filling in a bowl and add the cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well.
- Pour the apples in the baking dish and even them out.
- Open the caramels and place them on the apples. Try to spread them evenly over the top.
- Spread the cake mix over the apples and caramels.
- Place the butter on the cake mix.
- Sprinkle with a little cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and caramel topping.
Sometimes I like to dream about food. Any cake that’s named “dump cake” gives me a lot to dream about. I have no idea how long this cake has been around or how the tradition of dumping things in a baking pan began, but I have a theory.
I think that many, many years ago some poor mommy worked hard all day and finished the laundry, mopped the floors, washed the windows, fixed dinner, helped the kiddos with the homework, and sat down in front of the fireplace to get warm and catch her breath. Then she noticed one of her kids standing in the doorway with a sad little look on his face. When she asked him what was wrong he told her he needed a cake to take to school for the bake sale. You see, the school needed to raise money for a wood burning stove so all the kiddos would be warm.
The sweet mommy hugged her little boy and told him she would make a cake. She drug herself into the kitchen, pulled out a pan and dumped a bunch of ingredients into the pan. As she looked at it she realized she was too tired to even stir anything and popped the pan in the stove. She sat there for forty-five minutest, pulled the cake from the oven and went to bed.
The next morning her sweet little forgetful boy took the cake to school and everyone went crazy for it. They wanted to know what the cake was called and asked if they could have the recipe. The mother said she just dumped everything in a pan and baked it. They laughed and all started calling it ‘The Dump Cake.”
So absolutely none of that story is true, but that is what lives in my head. Guess what? Now it’s in your head and I’m sorry for that! 😉
No matter who made the first dump cake or why they did it, I’m glad they did. It’s delicious.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Begin with two 21 ounce cans of apple pie filling.
- Place them in a bowl and add 1 ½ teaspoons of cinnamon and ½ teaspoon of nutmeg and stir it well.
- Pour the apples into a baking dish.
- Top the apples with the caramels.
- Sprinkle the white cake mix on top of the apples and the caramels.
- Place pieces of the butter on top of the cake mix.
- Sprinkle the top with a little cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Bake at 350 for forty-five minutes.
- Serve with ice cream drizzled with caramel topping.
Caramel Apple Dump Cake Recipe:
Here’s a little video for you!
I hope you enjoy this recipe. It’s almost effortless with just a few ingredients to pour and bake for a caramel apple cake you won’t forget!