How to Make Wonderful Waffle Cookies with a Video
Want a waffle? What about a few waffle cookies? You know you can’t eat just one waffle or one waffle cookie so just grab a stack and let’s get started!
Supplies for Waffle Cookies:
Royal Icing Colors:
Waffle Brown-I mixed AmeriColor Ivory, Lemon Yellow, and a very, very small amount of Chocolate Brown.
Sweet Sugarbelle’s We Go Together Cookie Cutters
Paintbrush – Any kind of detailed painting brush will work. I got these at Michale’s Craft store because I liked the way they looked.
Decorating tip #3
Truly Mad Plastics Tipless Piping Bags
Let’s talk about Sugarbelle’s We Go Together Cookie Cutters for a minute. Each set has these handy dandy little templates and she was nice enough to include a waffle template for us. I started to airbrush it on the decorated cookie and then I had an idea. I wanted to make it 3D and to look like real waffles so I traced the squares on the cookie and got to work. Let’s do this!
- Begin by making a few waffle cookie shapes. You can make round out triangle shaped waffle cookies.
- Next, trace the pattern on the cookies with a food safe marker.
- Make the waffle colored icing in two consistencies. You’ll need to mix a thick and a thin icing.
- Outline the squares and the edge of the waffle cookies using a #3 decorating tip.
- Repeat and outline again placing the second layer of icing on top of the first layer. You are basically making the squares thick so when you add the thin icing it will resemble a real waffle.
- Let the icing dry overnight.
- Once the thick outline has dried completely, use a spoon to add the thin icing to the waffle. Make sure to get it in each and every square. This may get a little messy.
- Now here is where the paintbrush comes in. Use it to make sure the icing gets into each and every square.
- As you move the icing, try to remove the excess and let it drip back into the bowl.
- If the icing in the bowl starts to crust over, just add a little water and stir.
- You don’t want to remove all of the icing so try to take as much as you can and don’t worry about the rest. It will dry and you will be amazed at how it looks like your favorite morning breakfast.
- Let it dry completely.
How to Make Waffle Cookies Video:
If you watch the video you will see how simple it is to use the paintbrush to control your icing. When it’s done, try not to grab the syrup and eat them. I have an icing syrup you can add so save the Mrs. Butterworth for breakfast.
If you want to give it a little more realistic feel, mix some brown icing (AmeriColor Chocolate Brown with a touch of Tulip Red) and drizzle it on top and make it run down the sides in different areas. If you need butter, add a square cookie that has been dipped in yellow icing to the center of the waffle cookies and let it dry.
Come back soon and I will show you how I put all of the breakfast cookies together. I think you’ll want to see this.