How to Make a Sugar Cookie that looks like a Pop-Tart
I’m all about simple these days. I’ve been working hard on simplifying things in my life and that includes some cookie designs. I love sprinkles, one color of royal icing, and a classic cookie from time to time. I think a good Pop-tart cookie is very classic and it’s very simple!
You only need a rectangle cookie cutter, one royal icing color, and some sprinkles or nonpareils. You can, of course, make different sizes, different colors, and use different sprinkles to make them any way you want. Today, I was in the mood for simple Strawberry and Chocolate Fudge Pop-Tart Cookie.
Supplies for Pop-Tart Cookies:
(may contain affiliate links)
Royal Icing Colors:
Since this is the cookie version of a Pop-Tart there isn’t any filling inside. If you want to make things interesting you could add different flavors to the cookie dough and the royal icing to make your favorite flavor. Adding strawberry extract would have been the perfect way to flavor your strawberry Pop-tart cookies, but I chose to stick with my basic sugar cookie recipe.
- Begin by making your cookie dough and cutting out some rectangle shapes.
- Place the dough in the freezer for a few minutes and then use a fork to make the classic edge.
- If the dough gets sticky, you might want to place it back in the freezer for a few minutes so it will stay firm while you make the classic design.
- Bake according to the recipe directions.
- Let the cookies cool completely before you begin decorating with the royal icing.
- Outline and flood the center of the chocolate fudge cookie with the brown royal icing.
- Use a turkey lacer, toothpick, or Boo-Boo stick to smooth out the icing.
- While the royal icing is wet, sprinkle with sanding sugar or nonpareils.
- Let the cookies dry completely.
Pop-tart Cookie Video:
If you’re thinking about having a cookie decorating party for kids, I highly recommend these cookies. The prep work is easy and you don’t need a lot of royal icing. Just give them sprinkle choices and watch them have a ton of fun!