How to Make Fun Furry Bear Cookies
Way back in December I made some Adorable Little Christmas Tree Cookies and I mentioned a cookie project I was going to share with you. Well, the time is finally here, but I bet you already know what it is if you saw my post on Monday. It’s the bear cookies in the Animal Cookie Cutter Set for Charity. Autumn Carpenter organized a group of talented cookie decorators and asked them to design an animal cookie cutter to donate to Tender Hands, Inc.
Have you seen all of the amazing cookie cutters in The Animal Cookie Cutter Set for Charity? If not, you need to take a look at it because the cutters were designed by a lot of your favorite cookie artists and they’re fun, creative and unique. I know when you get your hands on this set you’ll make some really cute and fun animal cookies. I’ll have a list where you can purchase them at the end of this tutorial. Until then, let’s look at some bear cookies.
You can find out more about Tender Hands Inc. and how they help women in India. Their story is one I want to tell the world because they not only teach women how to bake and run a business, they teach women skills and grow their confidence so they can earn money for themselves and their families. If you want to hear Bernie David tell you about the charity, you can listen to Baking a Difference with Bernie David on Episode #5 The Power of a Cookie. It’s a great charity for women and I hope you can help it out.
Supplies for Bear Cookies:
(may contain affiliate links)
Sugar Cookie Recipe
Royal Icing Recipes
Animal Cookie Cutters for Charity
Royal Icing Colors:
Chocolate Brown Soft Paste Food Gel Color
- Begin by making a batch of your favorite sugar cookie dough.
- Cut out the bear shapes and bake according to the recipe directions.
- Let the cookies cool completely before you begin decorating.
- Once the cookies have cooled, outline the bear cookies with the brown royal icing.
- Flood the bear cookies with the brown royal icing.
- Add the 4mm eyes and let the bears dry completely.
- Randomly pipe some brown royal icing on top of the bear. Don’t cover it completely because this is how we are going to make the fur.
- Use a paintbrush to make the icing look like fur. Okay. Here’s the deal on the sponge. I don’t know what I was thinking, but I used a sponge and didn’t check to see if it’s food safe. I suggest you use something that is food safe like a paintbrush. That is what I normally do, but on this day, I wasn’t thinking. When I make the bears in the future the brush will be food safe and all will be well with the world again. 😉
- I wish this sponge on a stick was food safe because look at the swirly fur it’s making. Sigh. Maybe someday cookiers will have a sponge on a stick that is food safe.
- After you make the bear as furry as you want it, add two 4mm black pearl dragees for the eyes.
- Let the icing on the bear dry for about on hour before you add the muzzle.
- Pipe two tan royal icing dots to the ears.
- Pipe one dot to use as the muzzle and add a 4mm black pearl dragee or you can use a little black icing.
All done! I have more plans for this guy so come back soon and see what kind of cookies we can make with this bear cutter. Also, when you get your set of Animal Cookie Cutters for Charity (I know you want to help charity and decorate cute animal cookies) tag me to show me what you’re creating! We all want to see your cookies!
How to Make Fun Furry Bear Cookies
I don’t have a picture of this but you can add Roxy & Rich Hybrid Luster Dust to the cheeks. You can add it with a dry brush and the color was Amethyst Pink.
I bet you’re asking yourself where you can find the Animal Cookie Cutter Set for Charity.
We have a list of the artists and where you can purchase them!
Arty McGoo, Autumn Carpenter, The Bearfoot Baker, Blyss Cookies, ButterWinks, Chapix Cookies, Cookie Cowgirl, CookieCrazie, Flour Box Bakery, Jill FCS – Funky Cookie Studio, The Hungry Hippopotamus, LilaLoa, My little bakery, Sweet Sugarbelle, The Cake Cottage, Tunde’s Creations, and You Can Call Me Sweetie.
Where can you find the Animal Cookie Cutters for Charity? Check out these stores:
Bees Baked Art
Country Kitchen SweetArt
Flour Box Bakery
Steel Penny Cakes