How to Make the Best Turkey Leg Cookies
People say the holidays are the most wonderful time of the year. I see why they say that because we can make memories with our families and play with all the kids. I guess it’s not so fun when you’re a turkey and everyone if fighting over your turkey legs! I’m a peacemaker and want to make everyone happy so I made a few turkey leg cookies. I sure hope they work!
Supplies for How to Make the Best Turkey Leg Cookies:
(may contain affiliate links)
Royal Icing Colors:
All royal icing is a 15-second consistency in disposable piping bags.
Brown- Chocolate Brown
Red- Super Red
Decorating bags or bottles.
Royal Icing Eyes or Candy Eyes- You need to make sure you have these a few days before you make the turkeys. You want them to be dry and ready to help the turkey legs see what’s coming.
Here is a tutorial if you’d like to know how to make them: How to Make Royal Icing Eyes & Templates.
Aren’t these little guys cute even though they look scared? I’d be happy to get one even though I know I’d miss the real turkey leg just a little bit.
- Begin by baking the turkey leg cookies and let them cool.
- Mix the brown royal icing and place it in a decorating bag or bottle.
- Outline the turkey leg cookies and let them dry for a few minutes.
- Flood the turkey leg cookies and pop all the little air bubbles and push the royal icing to the sides with the turkey lacer. I like this part.
- While the royal icing is wet, add a couple drops of ivory royal icing for the cheeks and a couple of drops near the bottom of the cookie. You don’t have to add the ivory icing if you don’t want so it’s up to you.
- Let the icing dry for a few hours.
- Next, use a little white royal icing to glue the eyes in place.
- Let the poor little turkey leg cookies dry a bit before you add the beak.
- Pipe the beak with the orange royal icing.
- Pipe the leg bone with the white royal icing.
- Use the turkey lacer to push the icing in place.
- Pipe the brown royal icing hair and eyebrows.
- Let the cookies dry until the beak crusts over. You may need to let it dry a little longer if have humidity issues. You know your area and how your icing behaves do what you need to do.
- Pipe the snoods with the red royal icing. You can get creative and make them all different or you can pipe them the same. I like it when they have a little character so mine will look a little different.
How to Make the Best Turkey Leg Cookies:
These turkey leg cookies need your help. When you eat them, let them know how happy you are that they joined you for your big meal. Just don’t let them know they’re a part of the meal. 😉
- The older I get the more I like to play around with cookies and icing. If you add one cookie that’s a little different color then the rest of them you’ll have a hero for your platter. All it takes is one to be different and it’ll set your platter apart.
I hope you’re having a wonderful fall and enjoying the Thanksgiving prep for your family. If your not a turkey it’s the most wonderful time of the year and you can have turkey leg cookies and a real turkey leg. Life is good!