Blue Bird and Flower Cookies
Do you ever change your mind as you’re decorating cookies? I do and sometimes it gets me in trouble. Take these blue bird and flower cookies for example. Did you notice the flowers don’t match? Should the petals be piped individually or should the entire flower be piped solid? Should they have sprinkles or remain plain? Do the centers need to be airbrushed? So many decisions to make and yet the biggest problem is to just make a decision and stick to it!
Do you ever struggle with this issue? It’s like sometimes I get in my own head and mess things all up when all I need to do is think less and decorate more.
Supplies for Blue Bird and Flower Cookies:
Flower-Any Size you want-(mine are 3 1/2″ and 2″)
Bird Cookie Cutters
Sugar Cookie Recipe
Royal Icing Recipe
AmeriColor Royal Icing Colors:
Lemon Yellow and Gold-Mixed
Super Red-a very small drop
Sprinkles and Tools:
4 mm black edible pearls
Chocolate Covered Sunflower Seeds (or orange royal icing)
AmeriColor AirMist Airbrush Colors-Deep Pink and Lemon Yellow
Decorating bag or bottles fitted with a coupler and a #2 decorating tip. You can also use a larger tip like a #2.5 PME or #3 tip for the larger flowers.
- Begin by making a batch of cookie dough and royal icing.
- Cut your cookie shapes and let them cool before you begin to decorate. Some people like to wait a few hours before they decorate so the butter won’t bleed into the icing once the cookie is decorated.
- Outline and flood the flowers yellow and pink.
- Let them dry for about an hour.
- Airbrush the center of the flowers in the color of your choice.
- Pipe a circle in the center of the flower and let the cookies dry overnight.
- Outline the birds with the turquoise icing.
- Flood the birds with the turquoise icing.
- While the icing is wet, add the 4 mm eye and the sunflower beak.
These flower cookies aren’t exactly what I had in mind. Don’t get me wrong, I do like them but they aren’t what I envisioned. I would have preferred them to all look the same with individual flower petals, a touch of airbrushing and a few sprinkles in the center.
So what did I learn from these cookies? Make a plan by sketching the design and then stick to it. Without a design, who knows what kind of cookies I will end up with! So how do you decorate? Do you sketch the design out before you decorate or just see the design in your head? I would love to know!
OMG! Sometimes I think you are my “sister from another mister”! I do the exact same thing! I have a plan in my head, begin to execute said plan, and think….”ooh, wouldn’t this be neat!” Drives me crazy. It’s like I have too many ideas and not enough time. 🙂
Very cute cookies, by the way.
Aghhhhh Flannel girl, you read my mind lol….We were just going through sketching one batch and trying to be lazy about winging the other…. So if we want to look like we had a plan, we sketch our designs. If we feel really, really brave…aka lazy…. we wing it….
We’re feeling brave with a plan ?