Chip Cookies for April Fool’s Day
I think some of you know I have a mischievous streak and I like to hide and jump out at the right moment to scare the living daylights out of people as they walk by. It’s not nice, but it is really fun! Once I scared my oldest son so bad that he jumped on me and had me in a headlock as if he had to defend himself and all I could do was laugh. He was mad at me for days! I still, to this day, think it was one of the funniest things I have ever seen! Now I’m going to fool everyone with chip cookies. Yes, these are cookies I made that to look like real chips. How’d I do?
Chip Cookies for April Fools Day:
(may contain affiliate links)
I hope these cookies don’t scare anyone. Yes, they are cookies! I haven’t had Funyuns in years, but my hubby brought some home the other day and it hit me, I had to make Funyun cookies for April Fool’s Day! Then, I decided to make Pringles and Doritos so I could trick everyone instead of just Funyun lovers.
Just a little warning: If you are around me on April Fool’s Day, don’t eat anything I give you! You will be sorry if you do. I can’t help it. It is like I have an evil alter ego.
For the Pringles, you need to make a form from aluminum foil so the cookies will bake in that famous Pringles shape. Tear foil into strips slightly larger than a real Pringle.
- Cut a few slits at each end of the foil so it will bend properly. Then, make the Pringles shape by bending it over your fingers and rounding the ends.
- Once you have it shaped, place a real chip on it to make sure the curves are right. Then, make several and place on a cookie sheet.
- Cover each form with a piece of parchment paper so the cookies don’t stick. I had to cut slits in mine to allow the cookie lay properly.
- Roll your dough thin (1/8″) and bake. I normally bake my cookies for 12 minutes and since these are so thin, they were ready in 7 minutes. Keep an eye on them and when the edges start to turn brown, remove from the oven.
For the Doritos:
- Color your dough with orange and ivory AmeriColor gels. Just add a little at a time until you reach the desired color. Roll and cut into triangles with a pizza cutter.
- Next, color granulated sugar with orange and ivory AmeriColor gel and mix. Sprinkle a thick layer over the dough but don’t cover all of it.
- Cover the back of a muffin tin with foil. Then, cover with parchment paper. Place triangles on the parchment paper. When they bake, it will be curved on the end like a real chip.
- Once the cookies cool, mix orange and brown airbrush colors and randomly spray to give some depth to the chip cookies. This step made a huge difference to the cookie Doritos.
Color your dough. I made a few and airbrushed them and liked it. Then I realized all I had to do was color the dough with lemon yellow and ivory. I don’t have the exact amounts so add a little at a time until you reach the desired color.
- Cut an oval with an egg cutter. Then, use a smaller egg cutter or a smashed football cutter to cut out the center.
- If your egg cutter is larger then real Funyuns, cut a piece out and pinch the pieces together. Now, make the shape less perfect by smashing and pinching with your fingers. I looked at a real Funyun for this step.
- Cover the back of the mini muffin pan with foil and parchment paper. Then, place the Funyun cookie over the edge of the tin and bake. I removed them before the edges turned brown.
I think I am getting softer in my old age because this year, my April Fools trick is edible. Last year, my cookies were not cookies. They were made with clay and I also made brownies with Styrofoam. You can see how to make them here.
I hope you have a great April Fools day and don’t get tricked to badly!
Lisa, maybe there’s an “evil twin” in all of us…some just can’t get out! lol……but with these being yummy good, that’s not such a “bad” April Fool’s joke…..it’s really quite unique. Your other post of styrofoam brownies and sculpy cookies is a tad “evil”, especially for those of us who chomp down before investigating! Enjoy your fun day….I’m staying away from your house! hee, hee…………… Blessings, Donna B.
Thanks Donna! I am glad you like them and glad my April Fool’s Trick is edible this year!
The top photo of your cookie chips is so good! You had me fooled. Love!
Hahaha! I am glad it “Fooled” you Paula! Have a great April Fool’s Day:)
I don’t know if I like the idea of chip/cookies, they’re kind of weird. APRIL FOOLS!!!! 🙂 Of course I love the chip/cookies I think they’re a perfect April Fools prank. People will only love you more after the first bite!
Hahaha! You had me fooled Kim! Have a great April Fool’s Day!!
Haha…love it! What a cute idea!
Thanks Terri!! Have a great day!!
These are about the best April fools cookies I’ve ever seen. I love how your amazing brain works!
Hahaha! As long as I don’t feed you clay cookies or foam brownies! Hahahah
Thanks Sue! They would also be great for a football party. I hope you have an awesome April Fool’s Day!!
I’d prefer your cookies over the originals of any of these chips any day!! 🙂 Super cute April Fools!
Thanks Michelle! I am not a big fan of chips so these are definitely my favorites. Hahah Have a wonderful April Fool’s Day!!
Perfect! (This is the only kind of April Fool’s joke I actually like, the sweet, edible ones.)
Hahaha! I am glad you like it Elizabeth! I didn’t add any weird flavors or anything. I wanted a joke people could eat. Have a wonderful day!!!
These are genius! My husband always tells me something is wrong with my car every year on April Fools day and I always get worked up, and then he tells me he’s joking – I fall for it every time lol
UGH!! I would hate hearing something was wrong with my car! He is so funny!
You are such a fun one. These are so creative…..and remind me so much of the real thing. I’m not much of an April’s Fool kind of person…..but it is fun to see it from the eyes of Lisa. 🙂
These are soooo cool! Great idea, thank you!!
You’re so creative. I love these.
Wow. Just Wow. These would fool anyone! Perfect execution, Lisa!
Your cookies are so clever. I have some huge chip fans in my family, and this would totally surprise them.
I LOVE scaring my husband, but he doesn’t think it is so funny 🙂 I’m not a big prankster though, just mini pranks. Your cookies are perfect!