Easy Owl Cookies with a Star Cutter
I had a plan to make star cookies for the 4th of July. I made the dough. I cut out the stars. I baked the cookies. I mixed the icing. Then, I saw something. As I looked at the star cookie, I saw an owl. Yep! An owl. So I decided to makes some easy owl cookies using a star cookie cutter for the 4th of July instead of red, white and blue stars. See. I told you I saw an owl when I looked at the stars but, I don’t see stars when I look at an owl. Kinda weired isn’t it?
Supply for Easy Owl Cookies with a Star Cookie Cutter:
Turquoise 15 Second Colored Icing (AmeriColor food gel)
Mint Green 15 second Icing (Mix 1 part Turquiose with 1 part of Leaf Green)
Coral 15 second Icing (Follow the mixing directions by Sweet Sugar Belle here)
Royal Icing Owl Eyes (or make them on the owl with thick white icing and a cupcake tip# 9FT. Pipe the white and then add the black royal icing eye in the center.)
All the piping was done with a piping bag fitted with a #2 PME tip except for the eye.
- Outline the beak with the coral icing.
- Outline the head with the mint green icing.
- Flood the head with the mint green icing. If you have trouble with icing colors bleeding together, let the green dry completely before you pipe the beak color.
- Flood the beak with the coral icing.
- Add the Royal Icing Owl Eye transfers while the beak and head are wet. If you don’t use the transfers, you can add the eyes with a drop of white icing once the face and beak has dried completely. Or, if you prefer, you can pipe the white part of the eyes with a cupcake tip #9FT once the face and beak is completely dry. While the white part of the eye is wet, add the center of the eye.
- Let it dry completely.
“Who” knew how easy it is to make owl cookies with a star cookie cutter. I think this would also make a really great project for a beginner.
If you are looking for more easy owl cookies, check out the links below.
Simple Owl Cookies in Winter Colors
Owl Cookies with Big Eyes
Owl Cookies with a Pumpkin Cutter
WHOOOO thinks these are adorable? I do!
It’s so fun to see how you look at a cookie and see something completely unexpected. Your owls are adorable.
Hoot Hoot, super cute!, you could make them red, white and blue for the fourth too!
Okay, that’s the cutest thing I’ve ever seen!!
These are just TOO adorable, love the colors!!!!
I love these! I always love SIMPLE, though I’m not sure mine will turn out as perfectly cute as yours! I am happy for the owls because I just found out that my grandson’s (he starts kindergarten this year) school mascot is owls (and you have many to choose from)! 🙂 How fun is that?!? 🙂
How creative! I love these! You are a genius!!!