Mother’s Day Gifts and a Giveaway!
I grew up around women who cooked and baked so when it comes to Mother’s Day gifts, it is a piece of cake! Well, something to make cake with is more like it. I though I would share some of my favorite baking and kitchen things with you in case you want to shopping early. I have also added a few others things I love. Mother’s Day is on May 12th this year. I know because it is also my birthday. Yeah!!
If your mom decorates cakes or wants to learn, these are a few things she might enjoy.
1. A one year membership to My Cake School Membership. My kids got this for me last year and I have asked them to renew it for me this year. I love this gift and it lasts for an entire YEAR for only $30!!
2. I bought myself a Fat Daddio’s Professional Cake Decorating Turntable to go along with the classes they got me. This thing is a monster! It weights almost 20 lbs and I seriously think I could use it as a sit and spin. Very durable for any size cake you want to make. I feel like a professional baker when I use it.
3. A set of offset spatulas is a must have for any baker. You don’t have to be a professional baker to use one of these babies. I even use them for spreading out pizza sauce on my homemade pizzas.
4. Beautiful Cake Stands are everywhere these days. They are great for cakes or you can use them as a decoration by sitting them on a shelf in your kitchen. I have some and I want so many more!
5. I don’t think anyone can ever have to many half sheet baking pans.
6. I want a Ateco 19-Inch Maple Wood Rolling Pin because it can roll a larger area than a regular rolling pin. Sometimes I roll my dough to wide and it gets a weird line in it from the rolling pin spacers I use. This one is the same thickness from one end to the next. *Sigh* someday.
7. This is one of the handiest little tools I own. It is a Stainless Steel Scraper/Chopper and you can do anything from scooping up the onions you just chopped to using it to smooth icing on a cake. It is spectacular!!
8. I don’t think I could make an even cookies without these Casabella Silicone Rolling Pin Spacer Bands. I don’t have to worry about thickness. I just roll and they are even every time.
9. I don’t have a set of these KitchenAid Red Mixing Bowls but, I did get a set for my daughter-in-law and they are wonderful. The bottom has a no slip grip thing and they are super sturdy. Maybe she will let me borrow hers for a while. 😉
10. I have 3 Silpats. I didn’t think I would like them as much as I do. They are nonstick baking sheets are made of woven glass coated with food-standard silicone. I bake all kinds of things on these bad boys! They can be stored flat or you can roll them up.
11. I have a red KitchenAid Mixer that I named Arnold. He is amazing and will beat up anything that comes his way. I LOVE HIM!!
12. Another great gift idea for a baker is this 8″ Impulse Sealer – Cellophane Bag sealer. You can use it for cookies, cake pops, any small treat. It makes them look professional and keeps them fresh.
13. My Digital Kitchen Food Scale is my right hand when baking. I use it measure flour, powdered sugar, butter and so much more. Using a food scale really helped me master Royal Icing. I don’t want to bake without it.
14. I don’t use my KopyKake Projector everyday but, when I need her (her name is Dawn) she is there and ready to help with the many logo cookies that need to look uniform. I made these cookies with her.
15. I jumped on the Half Height Bun Pan Rack (10 Pan Capacity) band wagon last summer and I am so glad I did. It is so easy to find my kitchen table these days. Everything sits nicely in the rack and you can roll it out of the way if company comes over.
Things I love:
Every mom wants great pictures of their kids and grand kids. Help mom make some memories the family can share for years.
16. Chase and Anne got me a Grypton Tripod 2 years ago for Christmas. I will admit, I didn’t know what it was when I opened it but, it is great for taking pictures of my hand while decorating. It really is great for blogging. I use it for pictures like this and this video.
17. *DROOL* I want the Missy Mint Camera Purse. It is beautiful! I go to the website once a week and drool over this bag. HINT, HINT Alan. My birthday is on Mother’s Day this year 😉 I hope you all don’t mind the subtle nudge I just gave my dear hubby. I am glad he reads my blog! Hahah
18. I got a Canon T3I camera last year for blogging. I really wish I would have invested in a good camera when my kids were small. I could have captured many amazing moments and I am so sad I missed them. This camera is easy to use and takes amazing photos. It is a little more difficult than an point and shoot but, mom will get the hang of it soon.
19. White Balance Grey Card Set is one of the best purchase I have made. If I want a picture and am not sure about the lighting, this card will figure it out for you. Look at this tutorial and see how easy it is to use.
20. When I got my new camera, I was a bit overwhelmed but, Shoot Fly Shoot Photography Lesons helped me in a simple way that I could understand. Josh and Kevin are amazing and they have several videos you can access anytime and watch over and over again. They have just added a few new classes and I can’t wait to sign up. I also took the Photoshop Elements Class for editing the photos once I took them. I am so happy with what I learned!
21. I bought this Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Standard AutoFocus Lens after I took the Shoot Fly Shoot classes. Josh and Kevin recommended it and I am SO GLAD I got it. It is amazing for bokeh (the blur) shots. The pictures I have taken with this lens are the ones I get the most compliments on. The only reason I don’t use it for all my picture is because there isn’t a zoom. You have to move yourself closer or farther away from the subject.
You can never go wrong with a gift card as a gift. The Cookie Cutter Company has very reasonably priced cookie cutters. All standard size cutters are a dollar! I could do some crazy shopping with prices like that!
Baker’s Stock Discount for Bearfoot Baker Readers:
Bakers Stock has a new line of Bakers Twine. They are extending a SUPER DUPER TWINE deal to your just for reading my blog! You can use coupon code BEARTWINE50 for 50% off the beautiful colors of twine they sell. Get yours for $6 a spool. That is an awesome deal and it will last until the end of April. I would love a box of these for Mother’s Day.
They are also adding new solid colors of twine soon. I am so excited about this deal!!
Speaking of Karen’s Cookies, Karen has donated an Airbrush System with a set of Airbrush Colors to one lucky Bearfoot Baker Reader. All you have to do is enter the Rafflecopter give a way. Winner will be announced here on April 30th. Karen has also agreed to mail they prize to the winner in time for Mother’s Day. What an awesome gift!!
Congrats to Aarika Crowther Brinker for winning The Mother’s Day Giveaway!!!!!
That is my picks for this Mother’s Day. There are some great ideas, an awesome twine deal and a chance to win an airbrush system and a set of colors!! Hope you give your mom something she will love for Mother’s Day like spending time with her. Because really, time is the greatest gift us mom’s want.