How to Make Pretzel Cookies with Royal Icing
I have a dream. It’s a simple dream about making bread and different things that involve using yeast. You know, that magical stuff that makes everything taste delicious. The only problem is I haven’t invested enough time into learning all of the secrets of how to make delicious dough. I can’t seem bring myself to slow down enough to learn how to make gorgeous artisan bread. It makes me sad, but at least I can make pretzel cookies that look like real pretzels.
I know it’s not the same, but it’ll have to do until I get brave and tackle the yeast!
How to Make Pretzel Cookies with Royal Icing:
Sugar Cookie Recipe
Royal Icing Recipe
Heart Cookie Cutter-Use any size you want and round the point to a pretzel shape.
Royal Icing Colors:
Brown Royal Icing
Food Safe Marker
Coarse Sanding Sugar
Paper for a Template
- Begin by making a pretzel template and cutting it out.
- Next, use the food safe marker to trace the pattern on the cookies.
- Use the brown royal icing to pipe the pattern onto the cookies.
- Flood the center line of the pretzel and sprinkle it with the coarse sanding sugar.
- Let the icing dry for a few minutes so it will form a crust on the top layer. This will help the royal icing on the pretzel cookie look separated as if it’s tied in a knot like real pretzels.
- Once the center line of the pretzels has had a little time to dry, repeat the process with the rest of the cookie.
- Use a turkey lacer to move the icing into the corners while the icing is wet.
- While the icing is wet, sprinkle it with coarse sanding sugar.
- Let it dry.
Simple Pretzel Cookies:
That’s it! Don’t you wish using yeast was as easy as decorating pretzel cookies with royal icing? Maybe one day I will master that amazing ingredient called yeast. Until then, I’ll enjoy sugar cookies!
I love pretzels! I make yeast rolls and bread all the time and it’s super easy! You should try it! Thanks for the wonderful tutorial!
P.S. Today is my bday so I’m making some of these and hiding them ALL! In the closet. Where I go to be alone. ??
Cute, cute, cute!
I think we have that same dream! My mom made homemade bread and still does, unfortunately I haven’t jumped on board. When I’ve tried, it doesn’t usually come out the way I planned, maybe you’ll have to figure it out for both of us? Anyway, the pretzel cookies are so cute, I would happily attempt to make them!
I’m new at cookie decorating but loving it!!!! These are so so cute!!!! I can’t wait to try making/decorating these cookies
I hope you love decorating cookies as much as I do! I’m trying hard to catch up on my comments and emails but if you have any questions please let me know. I’m always here to help. 😉