How To Make Happy Witch Hat Cookies For Halloween
Do you like making Halloween cookies? I do and I make them every year, but somehow I haven’t shared a few of my favorites with you. Why haven’t I shared any witch hat cookies? They’re cute and easy to make, but somehow I kept them to myself. Not one picture, not one bag of black royal icing, nothing, I should’ve shared them with you a million times but I didn’t. I should’ve taken pictures and told you how simple it is to decorate them, but I didn’t.
What’s happening to me? Do I like them so much I keep them for myself or do I get lost in the joy of decorating and forget what I’m doing? I guess we’ll never know why I haven’t shared them before, but it stops today because here are some happy little witch hat cookies just for us! Hehehehe.
Black food gel has a strong bitter taste and some people don’t like to use it for that reason. I totally get it. It can be really strong but there are ways you can make it without that strong taste. Some people use cocoa powder to make the royal icing dark so they only have to add a small amount of black food gel. Other people mix their leftover icing to get a dark base and then add a little black. The less black you use the less bitter the icing will become.
If you’re making a cookie that requires a lot of black icing, you should experiment to find a way to make it that doesn’t taste bitter unless you like bitter. Some people love bitter tastes, but I’m not one of them. I like mixing leftover colors together so I can start with a dark base and add less black food color. Keep in mind, you don’t have to make black hats because you’re the boss of those cookies. Make any color you want. Why not make a green or a purple hat? You should consider making any color that makes you happy with a taste you like.
Supplies for Witch Hat Cookies for Halloween:
(may contain affiliate links)
Sugar Cookie Recipe
Royal Icing Recipe
Royal Icing Colors:
Colors for the Hat Band-use any colors you like
- Electric Green- Americolor Food Gel Color
- Purple- Artisan Accents Gel Color- Deep Purple
- Yellow- Lemon Yellow
Witch Hat Cookie Cutter
Truly Mad Plastic Decorating Bags or
Flour Box Bakery Decorating Bags
Empty 14ML Spray Bottle for Dusts from Cookie Countess or from Semi Sweets Design
White Jewel Dust from The Cookie Countess or Semi Sweets Design
Royal Icing Transfers:
Royal Icing Transfer Rose– I usually make twice as many as I need for my cookies. If you need to see a tutorial on how to make them here is a post I made that should help explain it for you DIY Royal Icing Transfers with a Stencil. All you need to do is make the black dots a few days ahead of time and let them dry completely. Peel them from the wax paper and then place them on the hat when you’re ready. Here is a tutorial on How to Store Royal Icing Transfers.
Before you start decorating add the White Jewel Dust to the spray bottle so it will be ready when you need it.
- Outline the top and bottom sections of the hat with the black icing.
- Flood the top part of the hat.
- While the icing is wet, spray it with the White Jewel Dust.
- Repeat for the bottom of the hat.
- I don’t know about y’all, but I really like this Jewel Dust. It makes the cookies look shiny and happy. The only problem with it is you can’t see in a picture unless you tip or move the cookie where the light will shine on it. Just remember to spray it when the icing is wet so it will stick to the cookie.
- Let the cookie dry overnight.
- Outline the hat band with whatever color you want.
- Place the black circle on the icing while it’s wet.
- Pipe a swirl on the rose starting in the center. The thinner the line the better it’s going to look.
- Spray the hat band and the rose with the white jewel dust.
- Let the cookie dry overnight and share it with friends and family.
How To Make Happy Witch Hat Cookies For Halloween Video:
Now that the witch hat cookies are here it’s time to move on to something else fun. What should we make next? Eyes? Mummies? Who knows but I bet we’ll have fun making them!
Perfect. The squiggly lines make it look so dramatic. Love these!❤️❤️❤️
These are adorable!
Just found your site. Love your cookies.Can”t wait to try some of your techniques ?