DIY Cake Stand for Under $5

I have an obsession. Well, let me clarify that. I have a few obsessions. I know you can probably guess the first one, cookies. My second obsession is a fairly new one. It is collecting cake stands. I have started looking for them everywhere I go but, after I see the price tag, I usually decide not to buy them. So having the kind of brain that won’t let things go, I decided to make a few DIY cake stand for under $5.

DIY Cake Stand for less than $5 thebearfootbaker.comThe idea hit me when I was in Utah in April and went to a Kitchen store. I found 2 really cute cake stands I wanted but, I didn’t want to pay $30 and take a chance on them getting broke in my suite case. I mean come on, my carry-on held my lap top and classic movies starring Carry Grant and James Stewart and frankly, the cake stand couldn’t entertain me during my long, long layovers, so I had to make a choice to do without the beautiful stands that should be displaying my baked goods. Sigh!

As I sat in the airport, I realized how much I actually wanted those stands but, there really wasn’t anything wonderful about them. I just liked the colors. Then, I realized how much money I could spend on my new collection obsession. The more I thought about it the more I realized I wanted to make my own.

DIY Cake Stand Supplies:

1 Plate
1 Bowl
Glue E600 for Plastic Plates and Bowls
Glass Glue for Glass Plates and Bowls

Simple DIY Cake Stand for Under $5 thebearfootbaker.comI found these plates and bowl at Wal-Mart the other day and I couldn’t get over how cute they were. Each bowl and plate is less than $2.50 and are perfect for a DIY cake stand. I stood in the isle arranging them on the shelf until I found a bowl to match each plate.  These are plastic but I don’t mind because they are so cute. I also found some glass that I liked as well.

Trendy DIY Cake Stand for Under $5 thebearfootbaker.comTo make these cute stands, you need to glue the bowl to the bottom center of the plate. I used a ruler and a Sharpie to mark the center once I found it. Then, I measured the bottom of the bowl and made a few pencil marks where the bowl would go.

Next, add a generous amount of glue to the bowl and place it in the center of the plate. Use a good glue such as E-600 for plastic or glass glue for glass.

Easy DIY Cake Stand for Under $5 thebearfootbaker.comOnce you have glued them, place a few books on them as a weight and let them dry according to the directions on the glue package. I recommend that you hand wash these.

Cute DIY Cake Stands for Under $5 thebearfootbaker.comI also purchased these glass plates at Wal-Mart (under $2.50 each) and knew they would make great DIY cake stands. The shape of the bowl is what sold me. Red, white and blue is great for a  July 4th picnic.

I found some cute plates at the dollar tree also. I used one as a prop in this photo. It worked perfectly and was only $2! Gotta love that price.

DIY Cake Stands for Under $5 by www.thebearfootbaker.comI really like my DIY cake stands and because they are cute, trendy and affordable. They make great hostess gifts. Take a cake or cookies and don’t worry about getting your $30 stand back. All the cake stands you see in this post cost less than $30! Yep! I got 6 for the price of one! Won’t you join my in my new cake stand obsession? You know you want to.

There are a lot of DIY cake stand tutorials on the internet. Here are a few of my favorites:
i heart naptime-DIY Chandelier Cake Stand
Sweet Sugar Belle-Inexpensive DIY Cake/Cookie Stands
No. 2 Pencil- Do It Yourself Cake Stand
El Rincón de Bea-How to Make A Cake Stand at Home

Happy Creating

Comments

1. GeminiRJ says

Lisa, these are so-o-o pretty! I’m going to start keeping my eyes open for interesting plates and bowls! It’ll give me one more thing to hunt for at estate sales.

I love finding things at Estate sales. I try to go every weekend. I have never once found a cake stand! LOL

Such a cute idea…I have done similar two-tier stands using $1 candlesticks, but have never even thought of using a bowl for the base. Love it! And such a great price on the pieces! Now you need to get to baking more cakes to fill them up!!

I am so sorry Marg! I hate when my favorite things bet broke! Maybe you will find or make another one that will become your favorite.

Thanks Mike! I think I will start buying 2 of each so I can keep one and give one away. They would make cute Christmas gifts!

3. sallyann says

These look great, i too like the idea of giving them as a gift for the person to keep along with an edible gift.

If you are like me Jennifer, you will never have enough photo props! This is a nice inexpensive way to increase our stock. And for most posts, I can never find the right color to compliment my cookies or cake. Now we have choices!

I am going to make a few with candlesticks now that everyone is talking about them. It would add some height to a dessert table! Thanks for sharing Carrie.

Your cakestands are soooo cute. I hadn’t thought to use upside down bowls, but I’ll be looking for them now. Just wait until you go to a thrift store and check out all the great finds for cake stands. I even made one using a candle holder and an upside down ashtray: http://www.flickr.com/photos/well_kiss_my_frosting/5933481143/
    I’ve never seen the glass glue before but I used the E-6000 (greatest glue IN the world!) on my glass pieces too and it worked great. I can’t wait until we get together next year (probably April) and have a nice long cookie/cake/cakestand/girly-girl chat in person. I love and adore you my sweet friend.

I love your cake stand D.J.! That is awesome and I didn’t know you made it! Thanks so much for sharing and did I read this right? APRIL??? We finally get to meet in APRIL????!!!!!! I am so happy!!!

I think several of us can relate to you with the cake stand obsession! These are so cute – while I’ve made some cake stands in the past, I didn’t really know what glue to use and now I do! Thanks for the info!

I want to see what your brain comes up with Kim! I know it will be spectacular and you will plan the perfect event to showcase it!

Thanks Cindy! I want to be on your Christmas list if you make homemade gifts! I love all things homemade!

Are you going to bake something to put on the stand or wrap them up in a cute little box?

Love! I’ve done this with small earthenware planters and plates but I’m really liking the idea of using little bowls for the base. The gift idea is a great one.

The bowls are nice and sturdy Paula. I put a very heavy cake on one the other day and it never tipped! Gotta love that!

I agree Brenda! Never ever have enough cake stands. If you ever get tired of one, just bake something pretty and give it as a gift! Win, win!!

7. Noreen says

I have to say what a great idea, I was at a market today and picked up a beautiful platter and matching urn style bowl for the princely sum of 2.00. Went online and found that just the plate was over 40.00 so I will have the most gorgeous cake stand for nix, thanks for the inspiration.

I am so glad you are making your own cake stand and what a deal! I would LOVE to see a picture of this $2 cake stand. I am sure it is going to be gorgeous!!

8. Mary says

I’m so glad someone else is obsessed with cake plates/stands! My hubby just does not understand my compulsion with them. I’m also into finding domes to go on top of them! I just bought a gorgeous crystal cake stand that would be so perfect for a very formal wedding cake……ok……so we don’t know anyone that is getting married. *throwing hands in air* is that really an issue to anyone other than my hubby?!?!? Lol

My hubby doesn’t understand either! LOL I don’t understand his basketball obsession so I guess we are even! Hahahah

PS-A wedding will happen and you will get to use your crystal cake stand. ;)