Bluebird Royal Icing Transfers with Free Pattern
I finally did it! I made more royal icing transfers. Bluebird royal icing transfers to be exact. Do you want to know something? They look great as little bluebirds but they also look great if you make them with red icing.
See! I bet yellow and orange birds would look good also. Or maybe green or purple. You know what? I want to make some kind of deal where I show you my red and bluebirds and you show me the colors you make. How does that sound? Just tag me on Facebook or #thebearfootbaker on Instagram or send me an email. I would love to see them!
Blue Bird Royal Icing Transfers
(may contain affiliate links)
FREE Bluebird Templates:
- Small Bluebird Royal Icing Template
- Medium Bluebird Royal Icing Transfers | The Bearfoot Baker
- Large Bluebird Royal Icing Transfers | The Bearfoot Baker
- Wax Paper
- Thick Royal Icing in the color(s) of your choice
- Decorating tip #6, #8 or #10
- Yellow Icing for the beak
- Black Nonpareil Sprinkles. Or you can use a drop of black icing if you prefer.
- Tape to Secure the Pattern and Tape
Prepare your template:
- Print the pattern and tape it to a flat surface like the back of a baking sheet, cutting board, or a piece of foam board.
- Next, cover it with a piece of wax paper and tape it in place. Make sure it doesn’t have wrinkles so you can see your bluebird pattern.
Time to decorate:
- Then, make the birds by piping a dot inside the pattern and let the icing build up a little so it will have a nice round head.
- As you pull the tip to one side release pressure and end with a quick little pull so it’ll make a nice teardrop shape.
- If you do it right it’ll have a little tail, but as you can see not all of mine do. That’s alright because I think they are cute with our without the tip of the tail.
- While they are wet add the nonpareil for the eye.
- And don’t forget the beak. One little yellow dot is all you need to make your cute little birds.
- As you can see these are not all perfect and fit within the template, but that is alright. I wanted things to go fast and wasn’t so worried about being perfect. When you pipe teardrops with thick icing they are going to look a little different, but if you want them to look exactly alike you can use 15-second icing and use the template to make them precise.
I think they would be cute as kissing birds sitting on a tree branch, so print the pattern for the one facing left, and the one facing right. Won’t these be cute for Valentine’s Day?
More cute bird goodies: