Caramel Chex Mix Recipe
When I was a little girl I loved to visit my aunt Wanda’s house because somehow she knew what foods and snacks I liked. If it has sugar, caramel or chocolate there’s a good chance I’m going to love it. I still remember the first time she made Caramel Chex Mix because I fell for those sweet little squares that have had a special place in my heart. I don’t know why I haven’t shared them with you yet, but today, that changes.
Supplies for Caramel Chex Mix Recipe:
(may contain affiliate links)
Caramel Chex Mix Video:
Enjoy the video!
Let’s Get Started!
This is one of those recipes that’s great to use around holidays or whenever you’re feeling like you want something sweet and delish. My aunt always made the caramel mixture in a saucepan on the stove. Then, she poured the mixture over the cereal in a brown paper bag and microwaved it for the last few minutes. I personally never have a brown paper bag anymore thanks to all the plastic bags we get from the stores, so I place it in a microwave-safe bowl so the microwave can finish the magic touches. Once it cools, you’ll keep this recipe close so you can make it whenever the craving hits.
- Pour a box of Rice Chex Cereal into a large bowl and set it aside.
Gather the ingredients:
- You’ll need 1/2 cup of unsalted butter (2 sticks of butter)
- 2 cups of packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup of light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
Before you begin, place a piece of parchment paper on the baking sheets and set it aside.
Time to Mix Things Up!
Next, place the butter, light brown sugar, salt, corn syrup in a medium saucepan and place over medium-high heat, and allow it to boil for about a minute or a minute and a half. The longer you let the caramel mixture boil the harder and crunchier it will become.
Remove from the heat and add the baking soda. The mixture will foam a bit but it will settle down. Once it settles down, pour the mixture over the Rice Chex and stir. Now it’s time to place the Caramel Chex Mix into the microwave for one minute. Remove it and stir. Place it back in the microwave for another minute and remove and stir. Place the mixture in the microwave for one more minute.
- Once the microwave is done pour the mixture onto the parchment-lined baking sheets and allow it to cool.
- Break apart and store in airtight containers. The Caramel Chex Mix will stay fresh for five days.
What is your favorite childhood snack? Did you make it with an aunt, grandma, or your mom when you were a kid? Do you share the recipe with your family or friends now?
Caramel Chex Mix Recipe
- Rice Chex Cereal- 12.8-ounce box
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter 2 sticks
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Before you begin, place two pieces of parchment paper on two baking sheets and set them aside.
- Pour the box of Rice Chex Cereal into a large bowl and set it aside.
- Next, place the butter, light brown sugar, salt, corn syrup in a medium saucepan and place over medium-high heat.
- Allow it to boil for about a minute or a minute and a half. The longer you let the caramel mixture boil the harder and crunchier it will become.
- Remove from the heat and add the baking soda. The mixture will foam a bit, but it will settle down.
- Pour the mixture over the Rice Chex Cereal and stir until all the cereal is covered.
- Next, place the mixture in the microwave for one minute. Then, remove it and stir. Repeat this process twice more stirring between each minute.
- After the third time you stir it, pour half onto each baking sheet and allow it to cool completely.
- Break the Caramel Chex Mix apart and store in it an airtight container. The Caramel Chex Mix will stay fresh for five days.
I hope you do share it because making the world sweeter is as easy as making a fun cute snack!