How to Make Delicious Brown Butter
Brown butter. Have you ever wondered how to make wonderful brown butter and what recipes you’d need it for? I think we’ll need it in a cookie recipe. Not just any cookie recipe, it’s a Chocolate chip cookie to be exact. You’re gonna love the rich nutty taste and the aroma that will fill your house…yum! Let’s get started!
When you need brown butter it isn’t hard to make. The hardest part is trying to be patient while you wait for it to cool. Did you know you can make brown butter ahead of time? You can freeze it in an airtight container for up to three months. What a wonderful way to prepare for baking. Freeze some brown butter and you’ll be ready to bake when you find the time. You won’t even have to wait for it to cool before you begin.
Supplies for How to Make Delicious Brown Butter:
(may contain affiliate links)
- 8 ounces of unsalted butter
- Place butter in a saucepan over low to medium heat and bring to a boil. I like to stir things so I stirred the butter the entire time it melted. A lot of people say they swirl the pan to keep it from burning but I prefer to stir. Do what makes you comfortable just be careful not to burn it.
- As the butter melts it will foam, but don’t worry, it’s supposed to do that. Just keep stirring or swirling so it doesn’t burn.
How to Make Delicious Brown Butter Video
- You should start to see the little brown milk solids on the bottom of the pan. This is what gives you the delicious nutty taste, but be careful and remove it from the heat. The main thing you need to look out for is making sure the butter doesn’t burn.
- Next, you need to place it in a bowl or measuring cup so it will help stop the cooking. I needed one cup and cooking the butter caused some to dissolve so I added a little cold water to top it off.
- If you don’t like the brown milk solids all you have to do is strain it over a coffee filter. Done! Dispose of the little brown pieces and keep the butter.
Brown butter is great for veggies, cakes, pasta, but I love it in chocolate chip cookies. I hope your ready because I’m going to share that recipe with you tomorrow. I wanted to make sure you knew the proper way to make brown butter first.
Delicious Brown Butter Recipe:
How to Make Delicious Brown Butter
- 2 sticks 8 ounces of unsalted butter
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low to medium heat. Stir or swirl the pan to make sure the butter is cooking evenly.
- As the butter melts it will foam and you can watch it go from a lemon yellow to a light tan, and finally a nice amber color.
- Be sure to stir the butter so it doesn't melt.
- Remove it from the hot pan and place it in a cool container to help it stop cooking.
Here is the link to my Simple Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe. I hope you enjoy it!
Hi Lisa! Just a little funny… the #3 in your instructions above says ‘Be su re to stir the butter so it doesn’t melt.’. I don’t know if I have enough stir in me to prevent that!! 😀 Thanks for a good giggle! 😀
Hi LISA. Thank you for the brown butter video. I have done this twice. The first time I did it, it was very brown. I strained it and used it in icing. I thought I had burned it but it tasted great in the icing. Second time I think I under cooked it. My icing wasn’t as good as the first time. After watching your video, I realized my first attempt was right. I had never seen a video on this so thank you! I’m baking my son’s bd cake tonight and wanted it perfect!