I love simple Christmas cookies!! That is the biggest understatement of the year for me!My favorites are the beautiful, detailed, super creative and original Christmas Cookies. But honestly, who has time during the holidays to make “all” beautiful, detailed, super creative and original cookies? I don’t! So my holiday helpers are the filler cookies you can add to a platter, a gift or order so your star cookies will stand out and you won’t be chained to your icing bags for a week. The filler cookies are like Santa’s little helpers. They are quick, simple and super cute and they will add character to any set of cookies.
Holly, trees and stockings cookies are some of my favorite fillers for Christmas. They are really fast and fun. Here is how I make mine:
Supplies for Simple Christmas Cookies:
Red icing- flood and outline consistency
Aqua icing – flood and outline consistency (I mixed two drops Sky blue to one part leaf green)
White outline icing
Red Candy Beads
Sugar Cookie Recipe
Royal Icing Recipe
Let’s start with the Holly.
- With a #2 tip outline the berries with red.
- With another #2 tip outline the leaf with aqua.
- With a #3 tip fill one berry with red. You don’t want to do all of them at the same time because they will run together and look like one big berry. So be patient so it will look like 3 individual berries. It is worth it trust me.
- Once your berry has dried a little use #3 tip and flood the leaf with aqua.
- Then when that has dried for about 20 minutes you can flood another berry.
- Wait another 20 minutes or so and flood the last berry.
- You are almost done with the holly now.
- Now it is time to add the details. With a #2 tip and your white outline icing, add a highlight to the middle berry.
- Now with the aqua outline icing, outline the leaf and make a curvy line in the middle.
Now for the stockings.
- With a #2 tip, outline the top and toe with the red.
- With the #2 tip, outline the stocking with aqua.
- With the #3 tip, flood the top and toe with red and let it dry for at least 30 minutes.
Ready to make a tree? I wish decorating my real tree was as simple and fun as these.
- With the #2 tip, outline the tree aqua.
- Using the #3 tip, flood with aqua.
Now you will need to work quickly. While the icing is still wet add the red candy beads anywhere you want. I bought mine at Sweet Art Factory.
I saw Santa at the mall and he looked a little thin so I baked him a few extra Christmas cookies for him!