Memorial Day Flag Cookie Platter

I can’t believe it is almost Memorial Day. Is May really almost over? It has gone by so fast. Flowers are blooming, bees are buzzing, the kids are almost out of school and I need cookies for a Memorial Day picnic. I wanted to make some flag cookies but, I needed to make them ahead of time and I didn’t want the colors to bleed together. I was talking to a friend and she suggested I make a Memorial Day Flag Platter like Maryann “The Cookie Artisan” did. I loved the idea and emailed Maryann right away. She said I could use her platter idea and share it with you.

Here is my Memorial Day Flag Cookie Platter.

Here is Maryann’s Memorial Day Flag Cookie Platter. She is such an amazing cookie decorator and her platters are spectacular! You should go look at all her platters on her Flickr page.
Warning: If you look, you will lose all track of time so set an alarm to remind you to get the kiddos from school!

Maryann made all of her cookies out of stars and I love it! I wanted to use squares and stars. I think this is platter could be made out of circles or other cute shapes. The idea is to arrange your cookies like a flag and people at your Memorial Day picnic or July 4th party will be amazed!

Supplies:

Cookies in the shape you want
Red, white and blue 15 second icing
A Boo Boo Stick (I can’t do anything with it!)

Figure out how many cookies of each color you will need. Outline, flood and let them dry.

When they dry, arrange on your platter.

Presentation is everything! You can take some simple cookies and make them amazing with the way you present them.
Here are some examples of presentation:

Johnna “The Polka-dot Zebra- Holly Wreath
Julia Usher- Jewelry Cookies
“Polka Dot Cookie”- Christening Centerpiece Jars
Bea “Cancun Cookies”- A Box of Kisses
Martha Stewart-Wedding Cookies
Callye “Sweet Sugar Belle”- Pizza Cookies
Pam “Cookie Crazy”- Mothers Day Cookies

Comments

Maryann is the brilliant one!! I just asked for permission to use her idea! Have a good Memorial Day!!

I love this idea! I’m so glad I found your site… I’ll have to give it a try this weekend.
    Thanks for sharing with us!

Marryann “The Cookie Artisan” is the brilliant one behind this post! She was nice enough to let me share it.

2. Laura Pokas says

Perfectly patriotic! The simplicity is hidden in the presentation and, yes, presentation is everything! I’ve always said one can serve PB&J to the queen if it’s presented properly. Thanks for sharing :)

3. Maryann says

I just love this Lisa!!!!!! Genius idea to make striped squares! So much easier to arrange and you get perfectly straight stripes! I LOVE IT!

Hello Maryann!! You are the genius behind this platter!! Thank you so much for allowing me to use your idea! Presentation is so important and you always hit it out of the park with your platters! Thanks again!!!!

4. Johnna says

Love your presentation my friend! Great idea and I am SO into anything that avoids the dreaded color bleed!! I hope you have a wonderful Memorial Day!
    Funny — I saw several hits on Flickr for the Holly Wreath picture and thought, “Why are so many people looking a Christmas cookies in May?” Now I get it! lol Whew, thought I was getting behind on holiday planning or something! ;) You’re sweet.