Simple Little Jellyfish

I am fascinated with jellyfish. I think they are beautiful, graceful, mysterious and scary. When I visit Ripley’s Aquarium, I stand at the jellyfish exhibit for hours because I become memorized by the way they move. I like them so much I decided to make simple little jellyfish cookies.Simple Little Jellyfish Cookies by thebearfootbaker.comTheir cute little legs make them look like they are floating gracefully in the water. I think the pink one is my favorite. Or maybe the blue on is.

Supplies for Simple Little Jellyfish:

15 Second Icing in a dark and lighter shade of the same color
Black Outline Icing for the eyes
#2 Tip or a PME 2.5
Jellyfish Cutter or (or here)

Simple Little Jellyfish Cookies by thebearfootbaker.comFirst, with the dark icing, outline the head and make 4 wavy lines for the legs.

Simple Little Jellyfish Cookies by thebearfootbaker.comThen, flood the head with the lighter icing color.

Simple Little Jellyfish Cookies by thebearfootbaker.comNext, add some dots to the head with the dark icing while the light color is wet. This is called a wet on wet technique. I like it because it will dry nice and flat and the dots will spread out and make perfect little circles.

Simple Little Jellyfish Cookies by thebearfootbaker.comThen, with your black icing, add 2 dots for the eyes. Let this dry for about 30 minutes.

Simple Little Jellyfish Cookies by thebearfootbaker.comTo add a little airbrushing to the jellyfish set up an airbrush gun station.

Simple Little Jellyfish Cookies by thebearfootbaker.comNext, add a little airbrush color. For more information on how to use and airbrush gun click here. I am using AmeriColor Airbrush Color Electric Pink. Cover the legs with parchment paper so no airbrush color lands on it.

The farther away the tip of the airbrush gun is the bigger the sprayed area. If you are nervous about airbrushing, practice on your parchment paper first to get the feel of the gun.

Simple Little Jellyfish Cookies by thebearfootbaker.comNext, add a few legs with the lighter icing and you are all done!

Simple Little Jellyfish Cookies by thebearfootbaker.comIf you need me, I will be at Ripley’s Aquarium in the Gatlinburg, Tennessee watching the real jellyfish! I wonder if they will let me feed one.

In the meantime, here are a few more beach themed cookies and royal icing transfers for you to enjoy.
Starfish Royal Icing Transfers
Starfish Cookies
Goldfish Royal Icing Transfers
Lobster Cookies
Octopus Royal Icing Transfers

Comments

1. Brenda says

Those are so cute!!! Every time I think I am through buying cookie cutters (I am passed 500 :( ) someone comes up with the cutest cookies. So off I go in search of this cookie cutter!!! Thanks for sharing and great tips and photography

LOL!!! I think (actually, I know) I have way more cutters than you so don’t feel bad! I know a lot of people that have more than me so that make me happy and it makes me want more:) hahahah

2. Christy says

I love these, Lisa!!!

Did you have a jellyfish cutter or did you cut by hand? Either way – they are superb!

I have a jellyfish cutter that I got at Karen’s Cookies. I will add the link above so you can find it. Thanks for reminding me to do that:)

I love my “Wendy” (yes, I named my airbrush gun). With a little effort you can make a big difference. People on FB have said you can use a Michael’s 40% coupon on the Duff’s brand.

• Brittani says

The Duff airbrush kit is on sale here: bit.ly/JSgJAz
        Regular price is $190, on sale for $100. And if you use Ebates you can get 3.5% cash back!

These are darling!! The pink one is my fav too! But now I have a confession. You know how some people freak out about spiders? Can’t go anywhere near them….scream that crazy screechy sound if they see one ten feet away on the ceiling? Thats me and jellyfish. Terrified.

I didn’t mean to freak you out!!! But the jellyfish I made won’t hurt you. You can actually bite them!! LOL

You are the best jelly fish cookie maker I have ever known. They are the cutest…..and I don’t know that I’ve ever seen cute jelly fish before. You’re posts always brighten my day. Thanks for sharing. :) ♥♥

I never thought I’d refer to a jelly fish as “cute” but your’s really are. Such pretty, happy colors and fun polka dots. They actually look as though they are doing a little happy dance.

6. Melinda Brazelton says

These are totally adorable! My 14 year old daughter just finished classes at the Oregon Coast Aquarium to be a volunteer all summer. I have to get this cookie cutter and let her take them to the break room sometime!! (or call you to make some!!) Its also funny that this is one thing she knows a lot about at the aquarium! Thanks for sharing.