How to Make Simple Owl Cupcakes with a Video
I am so excited! A few months ago I was selected to be a contributor for Martha Stewart which means I get to create fun things to share with her readers. Can You believe it? My baked goods will be on her site! Yippee! Want to see what I made for her readers the other day? I made cute owl cupcakes and if you want to be “The Hoot of The Party” click here. If you change the colors to pink and white you can make them for Valentine’s! “Hoot” doesn’t want a cute owl cupcake for Valentine’s Day? Are you ready to see the tutorial and video?
Why make ordinary cupcakes when you can make these easy cute little owl cupcakes. You can use your favorite cake box mix and canned store bought frosting. It doesn’t get much easier than this!
When you add a few Oreo centers, M&M’s and chocolate covered sunflower seeds you will have a treat your friends and family will remember forever.Anybody can show up to a party with ordinary cupcakes, but you aren’t ordinary are you! Make these simple owl cupcakes with a box of your favorite cake mix and store bought icing. They may look hard to make but I promise anyone can make these! Are you ready to get started?
Supplies for Owl Cupcakes:
Box Cake Mix
Chocolate Sunflower Seeds
Decorating Bag fitted with a #10 tip
Coupler with ring
Small Round Cookie Cutter
- Begin by making several tin foil balls about the size of a marble.
- Line the cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- Mix the cake mix according to the directions on the package.
- Fill cupcake liners half way with the cake batter. Be careful not to over fill or they won’t be heart shaped when they’re baked.
- Once the cupcake liners are half way full with the cake batter, place the ball of tin foil in between the cupcake liner and the muffin tin.
- Press each tin foil ball down all the way to the bottom of the muffin tin. The foil will push the cupcake liner in to give the cupcake a simple heart shape. “Hoot” knew making heart cupcakes was this easy?
- Next, bake according to the cake mix directions.
To Decorate the Cupcakes You Will Need:
- Oreo’s, Chocolate Creme Oreo’s, Peanut Butter Creme, Mint Creme or Double Stufedf Oreos’s-Each has a different color cream so decide what color you want for the eyes.
- Chocolate Covered Sunflower Seeds (I found mine at a local department store)
- Small Round Cookie Cutter
- Optional- Food Tongs
- Each owl cupcake will need seven sunflower seeds, two M&M’s, two Oreo Centers.
- If you want to use a can of store bought frosting you will need to add about 1 cup of confectionary sugar so it will be stiff enough to make the feathers. If you use the frosting straight from the can the feathers wont have a defined look. If you prefer to make your own frosting, make it stiff enough to hold a shape.
- Place the frosting in the decorating bag. Martha has a great video to show you “How to Fill a Pastry Bag” that will help with this step.
- Pipe a dot of frosting by holding the piping bag at a 90° angle.
- Squeeze the bag until a dot forms. Release pressure on the bag as you pull the tip through the icing to make it look like a tear drop. If you need to see this step in action, there is a video at the end of this tutorial so you can see how simple it is to make frosting feathers.
- Continue until the cupcake is covered.
Now it is time to make the eyes out of the Oreo creme center.
- Make sure the Oreo’s are room temperature because it will make it easier to separate the cream from the cookie in one piece. If the cookies are cold they will break as you take them apart.
- Use the knife to cut the creme off of the Oreo cookie.
- Score the creme with a to make the marks for the eyes. Be careful not to cut through the eyes, you just need to make a shallow mark.
- Add an M&M in the center to each eye and place them onto the cupcakes.
- Next, place the sunflower nose and toes into the frosting. Food tongs or food tweezers will help make this step easier.
- Pipe the eyebrows at the top of the eyes and enjoy your owl cupcakes.
If you want to see this owl come to life right before your eyes, you can watch this how to video.
When people start asking ‘hoot’ brought the cute owl cupcakes, you can smile and say you did!