How to Make Ice Cream Sandwich Cookies with Video
I don’t know about you but I love making cookies. The things you can do with sugar, butter and eggs always seem to amaze me. When I make cookies I’m in my happy place but I don’t always have a lot of time to spend coloring icing and cleaning up the creative mess that comes with making great cookies. Thats why I like to make these simple ice cream sandwich cookies. You don’t have to touch one bottle of food coloring gel. Just make a batch of chocolate roll out cookies and use some white royal icing to sandwich two rectangles shaped cookies together. It seriously doesn’t get much easier than this!
These ice cream sandwich cookies are great cookies for BBQ’s or outdoor events because they won’t melt like real ice cream sandwiches. Now don’t get me wrong, I love a good ice cream sandwich but the cookie version is just as good in my book. If you want to add a little color to them, you can add different colored sprinkles to the sides while the royal icing is wet. They’d be great with red and blue sprinkles for your July 4th celebration. Yeah, I know I’m a little late for that but, there is always next year.
Supplies for Ice Cream Sandwich Cookies
Rectangle Cookie Cutter
Thick White Royal Icing
Decorating Tip 1A or any round large tip
Wooden BBQ Skewers or any other stick that will make holes in the cookies
- Begin by making a batch of chocolate roll out cookie dough and cut some rectangle shapes.
- You’ll need 2 rectangles for each ice cream sandwich cookie.
- Use the end of a BBQ Skewer to make some holes in the cookies that look like the ones you see on a real ice cream sandwich.
- Bake them according to your cookie recipe directions.
- Once the cookies have cooled off, use the 1A decorating tip to pipe some thick white icing on the back of a cookie.
- Place the second cookie on top and let them dry.
Look how incredibly simple these cookies are!
The next time someone asks you to bring ice cream to a party, blow their minds and make these. You should also take real ice cream but I’m sure they will get a kick out of these babies!