Creepy 3D Spider Cookies

I can tell it is almost Fall because the spiders are moving in! Every time I walk into my living room or kitchen, they scurry across the floor. Some of them are not small either. They are as big as a watermelon! OK, maybe not that big but, they might as well be! Let me just say I love nature! I do! I love it! I love it as long as it stays OUTSIDE!! I don’t like creepy legged crawly things in my kitchen but, there is a lesson to be learned here. You can get inspiration from creepy, crawly, ugly things that freak you out then, make a creepy 3-D spider cookie!Spider Cookies thebearfootbaker.comDo you know  how to make Royal Icing Transfers? If not click here and you will have the know how to make these creepy dudes! I will be totally honest with you and tell you before you make them and try to ship them to your BFF, they will not ship. Like all spiders, they will break if you squash them. Did you know spiders will die if you drop them because they don’t have bones. But seriously, who is going to hold one? NOT ME! If you make these, and take them to a party, you will definately be asked, “How did you do that?” And you can smile and say, “It was so hard and took me weeks but, I was happy to do it for you!” You will be an instant Halloween Hero and only you will know how easy they were to make.

Supplies for Creepy 3-D Spider Cookies:

Large Royal Icing Transfers
Smaller Royal Icing Transfers
Royal Icing Legs
White Icing
Black Icing
Orange Non-Pareils for the Eyes
Boo Boo Stick or Toothpick

Spider Cookies thebearfootbaker.comThe fun part of this spider cookie is making the Royal Icing Transfers. See how to make them here.

For each spider you will need:
1. 2 Bodies (I used the black leftover owl eyes from these cookies. Glue them together with some icing to make a nice fat body.)
2. 2 Heads (Glue them together with some icing to make a nice round head.)
3. 8 Legs (I piped V’s with a dot on the point of the v. It will make a cute spider leg.) Make extra. They will break and that’s ok!

Spider Cookies thebearfootbaker.comA picture is worth a thousand words so I am going to let these speak for themselves but, I will share one piece of advice. When you make the rings, start with the big one first. When I started with the small one, my big one was lopsided.

Spider Cookies thebearfootbaker.comWhile the web is still wet, add the spider body.

Then, cover with dots. Pipe them with space in between each one and let it dry for a few minutes then, add the rest until the entire body is covered.

Spider Cookies thebearfootbaker.comNext, add a drop of icing to the end of the leg that is going to be placed on the spider. Then, carefully place it on the leg and sink the foot into the icing. Mine stayed in place once I stuck it into the cookie. I think it was because the icing on the cookie had dried just enough to hold it.

Spider Cookies thebearfootbaker.comNext, add dots for the feet. Doesn’t this look cool? It will look better once you add the head! Hold me!! Headless spiders scare me!!!

Spider Cookies thebearfootbaker.comOnce you have the head in place, add 2 small drops of royal icing for the eyes and add the orange non-pareils. I used candy tweezers I got here. Let him dry over night. It looks like he is smiling at me! He can smile all he wants and I still won’t like spiders! lol

Spider Cookies thebearfootbaker.comI do, however,  like Creepy 3D Spider Cookie Halloween Post Cards! What about you? The postcard…

Creepy 3D Spider Cookies thebearfootbaker.comor the origional picture?

Just remember, when you see something creepy, crawly and just plain old ugly, use it for inspiration. If you have Arachnophobia don’t worry, here are some other fun Fall favorites: Candy Corn Cookies, Monster Cookies, 3-D Cat, Dracula Cupcakes, Frankenstein & The Bride of Frankenstein Cupcakes, Owl Cookies, or Owl Cookies with a Pumpkin Cutter, Popcorn Ball Pumpkin Patch and Pumpkin Patch Popcorn Poppers.

Bear hugs,

Comments

I love these!! I’m actually totally afraid of spiders, but my husband and I do a big Halloween display outside every year – all spiders! I’m a glutton for punishment, I guess :) So, I’m always looking for awesome spider ideas and this is fabulous!

2. Kim (SugaryGoodness) says

These are very cool!! Love the pictures – the first one, the spiders in background have glowing eyes!! Then I see you did one with multi eyes!! So creepy…in a good way! ;o)

I did make one with multiple eyes and it was so creepy I decided to make the others with 2 eyes. I didn’t want to scare the kids! LOL

Oh my goodness. I just posted spider cookies and they certainly not near as awesome as these 3-D spiders! What a great idea and yes, really, really creepy. But so much fun too!

I would not recommend putting them together in advance because the icing on the cookie helps hold the legs in place. I am not saying you can’t! I just think it would be hard. If you try, let me know how it works out.

4. Brendag says

I love these and everything Halloween!! I have a question, if you don’t mind, when I make black icing it has a green tint and the more it dries the greener it gets. Is it because I am not actually using enough color?

My first guess is you are not using enough black. I hate the way black tastes and a fellow cookier told me to mix all my leftover colors together to get a nice dark base. Then, I add black. Try adding a little more black and let it sit for a few hours before you use it. If you need anything else, please let me know =)

These are quite possibly the CUTEST and most CREATIVE Halloween cookies I have seen yet! Halloween is my absolute favorite holiday (okay, it’s probably really Christmas, but I DO loves me some Halloween!). I may just have to give these a try…those RI legs are slightly intimidating though! TFS your tutorial!

6. Adrienne says

Your killing me!! I noticed last Halloween when I was packing up my decorations that I had a “thing” for spiders! I could not believe how many spider decorations I had! So you know I just have to try to make these(with your ok!) I will be sure to give you credit and a link back here! And I agree that you are Brilliant!

I have a “thing” for spiders but, it doesn’t sound like the same “thing” you have! LOL Once upon a time I was brave and would catch them in a cup,take them outside to set them free. Now that we live in the woods, I run for dear hubby because these things are HUGE but not as scary as the scorpion that was in the bathroom!

I would love to see the spider cookies you make! I can’t wait;)

how cool are those?? that must have taken a lot of patience. I love the postcard too- what a good way to share your fun baked goods through the mail without having to worry about the actual cookies :)